Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I issue a warning

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20207076_20207079_20207791,00.html

So, I've been enjoying the Entertainment Weekly "New TV Classics" list. We're through the first 50. And so far there are some I whole heartedly agree with (Moonlighting, Kids in the Hall, MacGyver, Project Runway), some that aren't my personal taste but will grant that some people can make a case for (Jackass, Grey's Anatomy, Dawson's Creek), and some I just wonder what they hell they're smoking in the back room at EW (Saved by the Bell? Screech? Really? Okay, it just barely made the list, but that it's even there is a headscratcher).

But what I'm really watching for is number 1. And it had goddamn better be Buffy. I am not kidding. If it is anyone other than Buffy and the Scoobies, I will not just go Medieval. I will go High Gothic, with flying buttresses. There is no, and I mean no, program more worthy of "classic" in modern television. The characters. The story lines. Some of them covering multiple seasons. The dialogue. The catch phrases. The issues they faced head on with more honesty than any other tv show before or since. The freaking musical episode. Buffy was a high water mark. Buffy was literature. EW better recognize.

2 comments:

Desiree' said...

Okay, I get the subscription to EW, so I already read this list. Can't remember what #1 was, but I am pretty sure it is not Buffy. But I may be wrong. Let me know what #1 was again. Oh yeah! I remember. But I will not tell you. Nyah, nyah, nyah!

FirePhrase said...

Oh, oh! Now I'm furious. Not Buffy! The monstrous impudence! I stamp my foot at you, EW! I shake my fist at you!! Knaves! Pillistines! Saved by the Bell watchers!!

TIME: Quotes of the Day