Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Baby Borrowers

I've been waiting for this one. The question isn't "Will I be watching?" It's "How much popcorn do I think I'll need?" Cause I'm going to be glued to the tube. No snack runs, no answering the telephone, no potty breaks. I don't want to miss a second. Teenagers who think they're ready to be parents? Delicious. And it's not just babies they have to take care of; there are tweens, teens and old folks too. I'm betting the tweens are going to be the funniest of the bunch. When it comes to pitching a real foot stomping, head rolling, you'remeanIhateyouforever! fit, the tween is the undisputed, heavy-weight champeen.

You have to know that the programmers at NBC are down on their knees thanking the gods for those Fertile Myrtle girls from Gloucester High. I wouldn't go so far as to think that television execs would stage a massive teen pregnancy incident as an elaborage PR stunt. But you know they have to be dancing in the halls at NBC. Not only will they get all the free publicity, but they also know that every parent of a teenager in the country will make this show mandatory viewing.

13 comments:

Desiree' said...

I am also waiting for this one. I saw a preview last week (?) hyping it for tonight, but when I went to set up the dvr, there was no listing for it tonight. I guess I will have to check again. Thanks for the remind!

FirePhrase said...

I saw 2 commercials for it last night. I'm sure one was for NBC. But I'd swear the other one was for Lifetime (??). Everything else I've seen has said NBC tonight, so that's where I'm going to go. Evidently this was supposed to be on in the fall, but because of the writer's strike got moved up.

Desiree' said...

Yes, the ad I saw was during Last Comic Standing on NBC last Thursday. So I am sure that is the correct channel. I guess we can discuss tomorrow? (If I get around to watching it tonight...lol)

FirePhrase said...

Sounds like a plan to me!

Desiree' said...

Where the heck was it? What was up with the Littlest Vampire? That was lame.

FirePhrase said...

Okay, it did play on my NBC station. I caught about 20 minutes of it. Do you suppose some markets chose not to run it? Evidently there was some controversy about people leaving their kids with teenagers.

But they are re-broadcasting on WE tonight and tomorrow. I'm going to record it and catch it over the weekend. We can reconvene on the issue on Monday.

Desiree' said...

What channel is WE? I guess I will try and catch it on Hulu.com. That really sucks. I am going to call my local NBC station.

FirePhrase said...

WE is Women's Entertainment. Kind of like a cross between Oxygen and TLC. I think they may be running it late night on MSNBC too.

They also have some excerpts on the NBC official Baby Borrowers page. Check out their blog if you go there. Some people got really hot and bothered about this show. Maybe an indication of why your local channel decided to take a pass.

Desiree' said...

Well, I put in a call to the local NBC affiliate, now lets see if they call me back.

Desiree' said...

Just got a call back from a sweet woman at the local NBC affiliate. Apparently, they had some programming difficulties, and will be airing the first episode Saturday night. Then next week it will be on at the correct day and time. Thank goodness.

FirePhrase said...

Good deal! Meetcha back here Monday.

victory4angela said...

I guess I'm ahead of the curve and they aired it here early, except I didn't know it was on until I saw it. What I did see was good - one girl was whining because the baby loved her boyfriend and hated her. She looked devastated that the baby wanted him and not her. I heard there was a real meltdown on the show from another girl contestant and I wish I had see that.

FirePhrase said...

I keep wondering what these girls would do if they had to deal with an unhappy baby plus post-partum hormones. From the little I've seen, I think I know which girl has a meltdown. Somebody should hit her with a tranquilizer dart and tag her with a Norplant before she's released back into the wild. She won't be mature enough to have a kid for good long time.

TIME: Quotes of the Day