Friday, June 27, 2008

EW 100 TV Classics - The Trust Is Broken!

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20207076_20207079_20209139,00.html

Buff is ONLY #10! Friends is #9? Have you watched Friends lately? It does not hold up. It's just not funny any more. It is, in fact, unfunny. How can you call something "classic" if it has no staying power? Snit snit snit.

Given that The Simpsons were #1, I can find some marginal solace. I don't love The Simpsons. I don't even like The Simpsons. But how can you argue with a program that's been on that long? It ain't my cup of tea, but obviously somebody watches it. All I can say is, thank god it wasn't The Sopranos. I hate the goddamn Sopranos with every fiber of my being. And yet it was #2. In comparison to Buffy? Please. People get killed and they don't even dissolve into a puddle of dust. How can you compare? Whacked? Tony Soprano should end up on the business end of Mr. Pointy. Plus, the stupid Sopranos couldn't even get abbreviated seasons out on time. Joss Whedon was running Buffy and Angel simultaneously for 5 seasons. Oh. Oh! OH! I need to shake my fist at you. There! There! I'm doing it! Shaking! Shaking! Shaking!

EW, I can never trust your judgment again. Oh, sure, I may look to see what you have to say. But how can I look at you the same way? This is a sad, sad day.

2 comments:

Desiree' said...

I was surprised that Lost was way up at #8. At least the X-Files was at #4. That's not too shabby. And I wasn't too upset with the Simpsons being #1. I mean it is a cartoon for adults that has been on the air for like 19 years. That is pretty impressive. And while I rarely watch the Simpsons these days, if I do catch an episode it is pretty funny. But I am real sorry for you about Buffy. It did rock.

FirePhrase said...

I had very few problems with anything in the top 10. Can't stand Survivor, but I get why it's there. X-Files? Of course.

My one tiny problem with Lost ranking over Buffy was that Buffy completed its full arc, and had a very satisfying conclusion. Lost could get there, and for its fans, I hope it does. But there's many a slip between the cup and the lip, is all I'm saying. As evidenced by Seinfeld (#3). Yes, many years of ground breaking comedy. But when it came to the final episode? They whiffed it.

TIME: Quotes of the Day