Thursday, June 19, 2008

And don't call me Shirley either!


I get this e-mail this morning. How wrong is it? Let me count the ways . . .

First, it's not my birthday.

Second, I don't celebrate my birthday.

Third, even if I did, I couldn't afford to celebrate at Mi Piaci.

Fourth, my NAME'S NOT SUSIE!

Frankly, I was about to send out a blistering e-mail to the people at Mi Piaci about the evils of sending out spam to innocent people who wouldn't celebrate their birthday at their miserable restaurant, even if they did celebrate birthdays. And by the way, if you are going to send out spam, shouldn't you at least make sure you've got the name right? When I go to a restaurant, I want to be where everybody knows my name. Not where everybody thinks my name is Susie!

Then I had a "Oh. Wait a minute." moment. At restaurants, I do occasionally give the name Susie Derkins. Just because I really hate it when they yell "Julie, party of 4!" Do a bunch of people at a restaurant really need to know my name? (Okay. Yes. That's paranoid. But I'm willing to own my neuroses.) What? Are they going to ask me for ID? And besides, it makes me laugh.
So, okay. Possibly, my bad. There may be some way that a restaurant might think my name was Susie. Though I'm sure I've never eaten at Mi Piaci. And I don't remember ever putting my e-mail address down at any restaurant. And I definitely wouldn't tell a restaurant my birthday. Even a fake one. The chance that I might have gang of happy-clapping waitstaff surrounding me and chanting some rhythmic message of birthday glee at me is just really more than I could bear. Even if it was my real birthday. Which it's not.

But, the Susie point just took the wind out of my sails. Mi Piaci's marketing staff is safe from receiving a blistering e-mail from me. This time.

2 comments:

victory4angela said...

It's not your birthday, but it soon will be! Tee hee, I forgot you're a whole 10 days older than me. Mike likes to gloat because he's younger than me by a whole 4 months (I tell him I LOOK younger).

On June 13, I received a Baskin Robins b-day email (a coupon for ice cream cake) and an email from a friend who thought it was my birthday. There's no sense rushing my birthday. C'mon, let me enjoy myself for another month before I have to face it.

On the other hand, after battling Priscilla, a birthday ain't no big thing. BRING IT ON!

FirePhrase said...

Hey, hey, hey! Respect your elders, girlie. I try to keep that b-day info on the QT. No hints.

I think you should get a big Priscilla pinata for your birthday. Just beat the holy hell out of the thing. "Take that, bee-OTCH!"

TIME: Quotes of the Day