Tuesday, June 2, 2009

you'd have to look twice to see him the first time

Have you noticed how skinny famous guys are getting? I saw a picture of Eminem from the MTV Movie Awards, and the boy looked boney. It could just be Slim Shady getting his sober on. But I was probably more sensitive too it because I’ve noticed it so much lately. Take a look at all the lead actors on USA Network’s originals. Nearly every one of them is running boarder line too thin. Jeff Goldblum is as skinny as I’ve ever seen him. The guy on that society doctor show used to be heavier, but he’s almost down to the Gwyneth Paltrow-marshmallow-on-a-toothpick size. Jeffrey Donovan on Burn Notice is vegan svelte. Frederick Weller is a bean pole. Not that any of them look bad per se. Except Marshmallow Head. He could use a few pounds.

And it’s not a bad thing for me, necessarily. I have two basic types: Cowboy Woody and Buzz Lightyear. Tall, skinny, with legs up to the armpits. Or built like a triangle with arms and legs. I’m not really complaining.

I just kind of hope that the boys aren’t getting caught up in the weight wars. I’ve spent far too many years suffering from body angst to wish it on anyone else. And if all the sudden men are going to get bombarded with unrealistic body images too, they could go down the same stupid road women have. If I gauged my body against Gabrielle Anwar on Burn notice, I’d spend some might miserable moments. And let’s be realistic. I do gauge my body against her to some extent. It’s human nature. Or my nature, if I’m going to just speak for myself. And I won’t be that skinny again until after I’ve been dead 6 weeks.

Then again, maybe guys aren’t as susceptible to this kind of nonsense as women. But just for the record, I’ll say it to all men the same thing I’d say to any of my sisters: eat healthy, get exercise, be yourself. And don’t let anybody make you feel bad for the way you’re shaped. Be happy with the way you are. It would be nice if somebody could take that advice.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

There is definite Manorexia in Hollywood and elsewhere - blame it on Men's Health or GQ or Christian Bale in American Psycho. Skinny guys do gross me out a bit - it is those meatless calves that really skeeve me.

FirePhrase said...

I'm totally willing to blame Christian Bale (CB, you're a smart, good looking guy who gets paid crazy money to play "let's pretend" for a living - lighten the F up!).

I like a slim fella. But when they pass into that "I could snap you like a twig" zone, I'm out.

TIME: Quotes of the Day