Wednesday, May 20, 2009

When I grow up

I've been giving it a lot of thought lately. Second acts. Maybe it's turning 40. And I'm thinking what I want to do with the second half of my life. I kind of had a loose goal/dream in mind that I'd have my own home by the time I was 40. Surprises the pee-whaker-doo out of me that I did that one. And maybe, I can use that kind of mojo to have a second act ready to roll by the time I'm 50. 50's a nice round number. A nice place to start a new career.

Because I have an absolute terror of retiring. Frankly, I think you retire, you die. Sure, people say you can enjoy your hobbies or charity work or whatever. I think I need something more structured. I have to get out of bed in the morning, because if I don't I'll get fired. Nobody ever got fired from a hobby.

But I don't think I can do this admin thing until I'm 80-something. Kind of depresses me to think about that. In a sort of "f*** me" sort of way. Like being 70 and answering phones? F*** me. Not that it's a bad gig. But I've kind of done it. I need a new horizon.

So I'm starting to put out feelers. Investigating. And I'm in a better place than I was the last time I did this. At 18, I had no clue who I was, let alone who I wanted to be. I've spent a few years figuring that out. I'm not quite completely comfortable in my own skin yet. But it's not out of the question that I'll get there some day now either. I kind of think I will. And I'd like a career that would be suitable for that person that I'm growing into.

I don't have anything conclusive yet. Just a lot of guesses. I made my first baby step today and contacted a university. Kind of freaked me out a little. I've been out of school so long, and had thought I'd sang "no more pencils, no more books" for the last time. But I want to do this right. And more education will lay a foundation.

I'm excited. Scared, but excite.

7 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

personally I have more than enough activities to fill my retirement -- got many lined up for "when I have time" and can;t wait for it

a 2nd act career is a good ide athough - freshen things up mid-life

FirePhrase said...

One grandfather had a great retirement - volunteering, traveling, hanging out with the grandkids. The other retired from the post office, then got a job at a gas station 3 weeks later. When he finally did stop, he detriorated really fast. I think I'm a lot more like him temperamentally. And a little freshening up will make it possible, I hope.

victory4angela said...

You should think about tech writing. It's a good field and you're a good writer. I think it could work.

I am so looking forward to retirement. I have my hobbies lined up, I just need some free time to do it. In 2007 when I had 5 months off, it was somewhat nice not having to trek into the office. Although, being home because you have cancer kinda sucks. I do miss the sound of the lawnmowers and/or the birds while I was home watching 'North & South'. Ah, retirement. Can't wait!

FirePhrase said...

I hadn't even thought of tech writing. Thanks, I'll put it on my "too investigate" list. I really need to do some legwork on this prior to jumping. Just about anything I do is going to be a risk. And if I'm going to lay my future on the line, I'd at least like the comfort of knowing I've done my due diligence.

momo said...

Personally, I'm kinda hoping that I will be able to work and volunteer abroad. Something that doesn't involve business casual dress or submitting time sheets. Of course, this assumes that my crazy rich uncle whatshisname mentions me in his will ;)

FirePhrase said...

Actually, Momo, if you want to volunteer abroad I can hook you up to-day. I've got a great contact. And if Uncle Warbucks contacts you, tell him I said "hi!" and I always liked him.

momo said...

Groovy, send it along. I've got 2 or 3 websites that I've been looking ... the opportunities are a bit overwhelming!

TIME: Quotes of the Day