Friday, May 22, 2009

Awww. Lucky.

There’s an article in the Wall Street Journal today about the Obama family getting to pick art from the Hirshorn and the National Gallery in Washington to display in the family residence of the White House.

Holy cow! That’s one hell of a perq!!

My eyes just get googly thinking of being able to go to some of the best collections in the country and just borrow anything I liked. I’m sure the Da Vinci would be off limits, but there’s crazy good stuff to pick from besides that. “I’ll take something from the Hudson River School and a Wyeth for the living room. And a Sargent for my bedroom. Is that a Jasper Johns? Great, the downstairs powder room needed a little something.” And I have a great stairwell that would be perfect for a Calder mobile. Of course, security is probably a little tighter at 1700 Pennsylvania than at my digs.

My crazy love for museums is probably going to lead me to see the new Night at the Museum: Battle for the Smithsonian some time in the next week. The Smithsonian is one of my favorite places on earth. And the Night at the Museum movies really key into my alone with all that fantastic stuff fantasies. I read The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler as a kid and never recovered. I’m just hoping they have the giant squid come to life. Loved the giant squid.

And you know what? As I’m thinking about it, it’s just been too long since I’ve had a chance to go to a museum. I noticed the Kimbell has Art & Love in Renaissance art going. That just sounds good. Right on! Field trip!!

3 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I was REALLY looking forward to NATM-Smithsonian - but after seeing the clips and trailers, I've seen so many glaring location/factual errors already I think I'll just end up running from the theater screaming and pulling my hair out.
Ah well, I know the nieces are psyched for it - so I may have to go with them and keep my trap squeezed shut.

WashingtonGardener said...

PS I'm VERY kealous of that art-borrowing perk - HEY WE taxpayers paid for a lot of that - when is it our turn??

FirePhrase said...

I've come to the conclusion that it's a logic off and brain firmly shut movie. NO critical thinking allowed. Just roll with the laughs. Now if they don't make me laugh AND are factually inaccurate . . . it's on!

I'm jealous. But let's face it, by and large it's a lousy job. Take the perqs where they come.

TIME: Quotes of the Day