Thursday, May 21, 2009

Seriously. What's the worst that could happen?

Well, since it seems to be a day for pop culture – the Jon & Kate + 8 thing. Whoo. Not pretty.

And here’s the thing. When OctoMom spawned it was a big point (among many) that she was a single parent. These folks have 8 kids as a couple.

BUT

Nobody is guaranteed to stay a couple. Divorce is alive and well in America. It can hit a couple hard. Especially one that’s under stress, from, oh, say, something like, I don’t know – raising 8 kids. And suddenly that 2 parent household that was able to cope with all those children becomes 2 single parent homes. The already deep waters of divorce get fathoms deeper with each kid added into the equation. Even with the most amicable of divorces, moving 2 or 3 kids around in a custody arrangement is difficult. Imagine trying to do that with 8. You get 4 and I get 4, then we switch? I don’t see that working. And if one parent only has partial custody, how does any one kid see that parent enough in a weekend with 8 other kids competing for attention?

I’m sure they went in with every good intention. And expecting that their marriage would last. But sometimes the worst does happen. And in this case, one divorce, 10 casualties. 8 who didn't have any choice in the matter.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I met a TV producer (from Discovery down the street) and heard some pre-gossip on this - I have never watched the show - but seen the interviews and promos so I get it. Was told that they ae amking mucho, mucho (add another zero to what you are thinking) bucks off this show and that is a BIG factor in this break-up = a LOT of pressure.

FirePhrase said...

It just seems foolhardy at best. And at worst, really kind of scary when you think about it.

victory4angela said...

I heard Jon spent so much time trolling for freebies and endorsements before they landed the show that he was fired from his job. Someone (WaPo? or Yahoo?) listed ALL of the perks they've gotten from being on the show and it's not cheap.

FirePhrase said...

It really makes me cringe that 8 kids are caught up in that mess. Though I don't know why I"m surprised. You have to be a little off to start with to let a film crew follow you around for months at a time. Not necessarily bad, per se, but definitely a little off. I mean seriously. The Osbournes started the whole trend. I mean, QED.

TIME: Quotes of the Day