Friday, May 15, 2009

Do you believe in magic?

I’m starting to have this theory that everybody has a “magic number”. A certain age where everything about you just pops into focus, and you’re the best you’re ever going to be. The most attractive. The most in-tune with the universe. The most of who they are.

Have you seen Jeff Goldblum on Criminal Intent? Wow. He’s never looked better. He’s never had his acting so fine tuned. He’s hitting on all cylinders. He’s always been a personal taste kind of guy (and let me say, I’m kind of fond of that flavor), but he’s just knocking it out of the park right now. And what up with Tom Hanks? He’s always had a regular guy appeal. But the publicity shots coming out of Angels & Demons are showing him in a new light. And me likey. Who knew? I may actually go see that (and if he can make me sit through a Dan Brown movie, that’s saying something, pace Ewan MacGregor).

And I’ve seen it happen with people I know personally. Sometimes it’s having a kid. Or accomplishing a personal goal. Or just having an ah-ha moment that clicks everything into place. And it’s like somebody you know, only better.

I’m really hoping my “magic number” wasn’t 19 and I just wasn’t paying attention. Or that if it was, then at least I’ll maybe get a second one somewhere in here. It sounds like something I could really enjoy now. I’d hate to think I missed it.

3 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Yes, some folks peak as toddlers or tweens -- more is the pity for them. We all know many that peak in HS or college and never move on - the trick is to slowly get better and peak at 60 or so. Joan Rivers is my hero in that respect.

FirePhrase said...

Funny ladies seem to peak late frequently. Phyllis Diller, Cloris Leachman, all the Golden Girls. Maybe I should start working on my standup.

WashingtonGardener said...

add Joy Behar, Wanda Sykes, etc, Yeah I think that may be a good third-career plan...

TIME: Quotes of the Day