Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Do and/or Die

http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/12/news/economy/SocSec_Medicare_trustees_report/index.htm

You know, back when I was in high school, one of my teachers looked out onto our freshly scrubbed innocent faces and said, "You know that SSI deduction some of you are starting to see on your first pay checks, that you're going to get back when you're old enough to retire? You're never going to see it again. Kiss it goodbye, suckers."

Okay, the suckers may be my addition. Looks like Mr. Hinkleday called that one. I've been forking out on every paycheck for over 20 years, while all those seniors have been blowing my hard earned cash on Polygrip, slot machines and Jack Daniels.

Actually, I don't begrudge them. I went into this with my eyes open. I sleep better knowing that my SSI contribution keeps some granny from having to eat dog food (though evidently it tastes just like pate [http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-pate1-2009may01,0,6580998.story?track=rss], and I think that says more about pate than it does dog food). I like old people.

And I had hoped to be one some day. But it's now looking like I'd be better off taking up a dangerous hobby. Forget knitting. I need something with a higher mortality rate. Like base jumping. Or unprotected sex with Colin Farrell.

It's too bad. I had high hopes for that master plan to die in bed with my pool boy, Chet, at 87. Now it looks like he's going to out of my price range. Pity.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I'm not sure I won't be bitter in 20+ years about this -- THINK of what I could have done with my SSI and meager interest? Certialy my mortgage would be paid off by now...

I don't begrudge the oldies -- I only ask we get something back for our investment like say a nice island set aside for us Gen Xers to use as a gratis retirement home - I'll take Puerto Rico.

FirePhrase said...

I'd be happier if we could send the Boomers off to an island and never have to hear from them again. Whoops. Guess I'm bitter 20+ years to early.

I get those SSI summaries every once in awhile and just laugh and laugh.

victory4angela said...

Just milk it from those whiny "NexGen"-ers. Seriously, they are our only hope for any SSI money.

I will have to tell my co-worker, Chet, that you have plans for him! I'm not sure how he'd be as a pool boy, though. He tends to be a little moody and I doubt he'd fetch you an icy beverage.

FirePhrase said...

Nex-Gen. Seriously? I better start collecting dog food coupons.

Don't get your Chet's hopes all up. Unless he's got a twinkle in his eye that he plans to name Chet Jr., it's no concern of his. By my calculations, my Chet won't be born until 2034. And the cold drinks aren't negotiable.

TIME: Quotes of the Day