Friday, December 5, 2008

Think Pinko

You know, there was a lot of screaming during the election about how people don’t want socialized medicine. It will stop innovation. You’ll only get the medical care the government says you can get. It’s bad! Hmm. Let’s review the last few weeks, shall we?

The financial industry teetered. We bailed them out. So now the American people are basically shareholders in some of the biggest financial institutions in the U.S. Which to me seems just 2 degrees off of “liberating” the banks for the greater glory of the People. Viva la revolucion!

And now the car industry is ready to crater. And we’re going to bail them out too. But with the condition of government oversight of their actions. Terrific. Because that worked so well in the USSR. I’ve always wanted to drive a Volga.

But we definitely don’t want socialized medicine. Because socializing things is bad.

5 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Maybe I'm in a shelter, liberal world - but NO ONE I know of here has ever objected to nationalized insurance -- bring it on, Obama babe :-)

FirePhrase said...

You may indeed be living in a liberal bubble. I have heard much weeping and gnashing of teeth on this score.

I know something has to be done. The health system in the country is nuts. And it spills into every other aspect of society. Jobs that go overseas because health insurance is to expensive for employers. Property taxes that are through the rough because of people without insurance going to County hospitals. Lifesaving drugs that don't get made because they aren't moneymakers. Old folks who can't afford their blood pressure meds. Kids who don't get immunized. If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result, then our health system is completely bonkers.

WashingtonGardener said...

Even my big Republican donor friends don't argue with me on this tip - they are all well-travele enough to know that countries with universal health care have it pretty darn good.

WashingtonGardener said...

Even my big Republican donor friends don't argue with me on this tip - they are all well-travele enough to know that countries with universal health care have it pretty darn good.

FirePhrase said...

My only real concern is that the Feds already run hospitals. They're called VAs. NOT anywhere I'd want to have to go for healthcare.

Not that it can't work. It could be indeed be better than the mess we have. It would almost have to be. But "I'm with the government and I'm here to take your temperature" doesn't really give me an immediate warm fuzzy sensation.

TIME: Quotes of the Day