Thursday, December 4, 2008

Go to the Front of the Class

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081203/review_nm/us_television_class;_ylt=AsU_vky.fdd.emgs92bfqyA9FRkF

Okay, this is my un-guilty pleasure. I loves me a good Hallmark Hall of Fame. Especially ones around the holidays. I just love flopping on the couch, wrapped up in a big blanket with a cup of cocoa and a giant box of tissues, ready for the tears to flow and the heart to warm.

And sometimes Hallmark de-liv-ers. ALL of the Sara Plain and Talls were tear-fests (and where I developed an enormous love for Christopher Walken); Miss Rose White didn't get me until the very end, then I cried like a baby. Sometimes they go a little too righteous and austere like the Painted House. A little bit of poor people, suffering nobly goes a long way for me. Or just plain syrupy (Riding the Bus with My Sister - ugh! ugh! ugh! WHY?). But when they get it right, there's nothing better.

I especially love the old school Hallmark commercials. Like the one where the little boy who, oh, hold on I'm going to cry, needed help reading comes back to read his teacher her Christmas card - whaaaaaaaaa! So good.

And this special features a teacher, which is almost guaranteed to make me cry. And bonus points for a teacher with a disability. I'm hoping there will be apple-cheeked children, a tough old principal who learns to care again, and maybe somebody who gets really, really sick, but pulls through just in time for everyone to learn a valuable lesson. Get the Kleenex!

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day