Friday, September 5, 2008

A vampire lucky to not have a reflection

I've never read the Southern Vampire series. But I've always thought - eh, maybe sometime when I'm looking for a new series. Vampire + hot sweaty southern nights has possibilites. And I even vaguely considered getting HBO for a few months when I heard Alan Ball was doing the series. And it's got that little Anna Paquin. It could be good, right?


Then I see this picture. What the hell? That's the vampire? Is the Southern Vampire series about dork vampires? He looks like he was working as a middle-school history teacher when he was "turned". And if your hair won't grow after you've gone to the dark side, this argues against ever living with a bad haircut. One bite from a creature of the night, and you're stuck looking like a SuperCuts tragedy for eternity. And are those fangs? Or just a really bad overbite? All I can think of is him going for my neck, and me saying "Ew, ew, get off me. Yes, I did my homework. Go away." A young Frank Langella he ain't. He's not even a young George Hamilton.
Thanks, no, HBO. I'll pass.

4 comments:

Desiree' said...

I have to agree with you. Vampires should be mega hot. This one is not.

FirePhrase said...

I know, right? Bland and bland with nothing in it. I think this casting director just doesn't get something very elemental about vamps.

WashingtonGardener said...

I saw the "making of" special over the weekend - I'm going to give it a chance. The hair is cause he was "turned" during the Civil War - I'm hoping there are other hotter vamps on the show.

FirePhrase said...

You'll have to let me know. So far it's not showing me anything that would make me pony up for HBO. But, sometimes a hot second banana can jump in and save the day. Spike anyone?

Okay, the Civil War explains, but doesn't excuse. They need to slap some gel in that mess.

TIME: Quotes of the Day