Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Think Global, Drink Local

I try to buy local when I can. But it's just not a real big trend in Dallas so far. Anything that smacks of hippie takes awhile to catch on here. I'm not sure what the hippies ever did to Texas, but there is a bedrock distrust for anything that has the air of long hair around here. Aside from a few local producers, mostly regional fruit and veg, some wines and honey, nobody seems to be in all that big of a rush to get Made in Texas on the shelves.

With that in mind, I was blown away when I went to my local liquor store and found 2, count 'em - 2!, Texas-made vodkas on the shelves. I was astonished. Who'da thunk? Vodka isn't exactly the first drink that comes to mind when you think Texas. Hell, it's not even the 5th or 6th. But I had a choice of reasonably priced Lone Star State vodkas to chose from. I bought one (Dripping Springs), and my friend bought the other (Tito's). Wow. Booze made in my own area. I feel so green.

I haven't had a chance to try either one out. But I'm sure they'll both be super smooth and tasty. And dang, if I can find local hooch here that isn't made in somebody's backyard, there just might be hope for this old town yet.

3 comments:

momo said...

Tito's rocks! Plus there are MANY wines made in Texas that aren't too shabby either.

FirePhrase said...

I've had a few tasty Texas wines. But I had a Llano white that I considered throwing in my gas tank, because I'm pretty sure that bottle was filled with Wille's Bio-Diesel. Eee-ugh.

momo said...

Try Becker's vineyard. They are out of Austin. Hmmm, maybe we should drive down for a tour and tasting!

TIME: Quotes of the Day