Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Trickie Treats

Lately, I’ve been starting to suspect that the family tendency towards diabetes is starting to creep up on me. My blood sugar is starting to go whonky on me occasionally. So I started making a few adjustments: I eat smaller meals more frequently, I try to make sure I’m eating a better blend of fats, proteins and carbs (carbs were kind of taking over the joint), added cinnamon and chromium to my diet. With the cinnamon it’s hard to tell if it’s doing any good. But heck, it’s cinnamon and it tastes good. Can’t lose there.

The chromium, however, is in pill form. And it’s supposed to take about 3 months to really show effects. Mainly, it’s supposed to help with sugar metabolism and cut sugar cravings. The second of which I could really use, cause I get mad sugar jonze. Not all the time, but there are moments when I could start freebasing pixie sticks. It’s probably too early to tell, but at 3 weeks, I found myself last night wrestling with a recalcitrant Twizzlers wrapper, muttering “Give me candy, damn you.” Possibly not a good sign.

Of course, I’ll give it the old college try. There’s no point in trying a supplement unless you’re willing to give it a fair shot. And I’ll need all the help I can get through the psycho sugar freak’s Halloween Danger Zone. But if by Christmas I’m not able to resist diving head first into Mom’s traditional Tupperware Box of Magical Treats, it might be time for stronger measures.

1 comment:

WashingtonGardener said...

Hmmm I was starting to feel a bit whiffy on my flight back - I think maybe I should be tested too - whenever I go more than 3 hours without food it is not pretty

- KJ

TIME: Quotes of the Day