Friday, September 19, 2008

Egg-specting Too Much?

You know, I'm starting to get a little hacked off by the bail out for the big financial companies. No. A lot hacked off. A lot.


You hear people piss and moan about welfare mothers having a bunch of kids just to get a bigger check. Okay. Yeah. That would be wrong. Gaming a system set up to help those in genuine need is bad.


But tell me what exactly is the difference between gaming welfare and what the people on Wall Street did? They all invested in bad risks, buttressed their bad risks with bad insurance, and asked for more money so that they could keep on doing the same thing. And collected big paychecks while they did it. Big. BIG. And these people aren't stupid. They're hot shots, with fancy degrees from fancy universities. They couldn't be surprised that their house of cards got knocked down. That didn't stop them building a couple extra floors on it. Bastards.


So who's going to pay for it? The trillions of dollars that it will take to pull this bird out of the nosedive? That would be the American taxpayer. Who would be . . . me! The same me who is currently watching her retirement fund circle the drain. Bye-bye, money, bye-bye. Like I'm not already paying for a couple of wars that I didn't really want either.


And the taxpayer would be you, too. I'm assuming that nobody reading this is a blood sucking financial wizard. (And if you are - kiss my ass, you morally vacuous slime-demon.) We're just the average Americans who have average jobs and pay an average tax that fixes the of people who own yacts so that they can visit their money in off-shore accounts.

It's happened before. And, if any candidate could come up with a workable plan to make sure that people that cause these messes don't get the chance to do it again, I'd vote for them. Because this is behavior that borders on depraved in difference, and does more to endanger the future of ordinary Americans than any terrorist toting a dirty bomb. And frankly, I'm getting tired of it. Black Monday? Enron? Any of this ringing any bells for anybody? Possibly if I was in a position to make gazillions of dollars by running a company into the ground, I might feel differently about this. But this is unlikely to happen, and I'm going to be lucky if I can work until a couple of days before I die, and still have enough money left over to cover my cremation costs. So what I'd really like is for somebody to stop the titans of industry from playing egg toss with whatever little nest egg I'm able to scrape together. I know I don't have a $90 million egg. But I'd still kind of like to keep it.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I'm on slow simmer right now but if pitchforks and torches are handed out and subjects pointed out - I'm game to join in.

FirePhrase said...

I'm boiling over at this point. When you get there too let me know. You bring the pitchfork and I'll bring the tar and feathers.

TIME: Quotes of the Day