Friday, September 19, 2008

Dude. I'm totally being stalked by Opera Man

I'm seriously considering starting to buy my event tickets with cash at the box office, and in a disguise. Because I've bought tickets to a few cultural events in Dallas, I'm on every freaking artsy-fartsy sucker list in town. I get the ballet. I get the symphony. I get at least 4 different theater companies. No, wait. 2 symphonies. Dallas and Fort Worth. And various one offs like Ballet Folklorico and those Japanese drum dudes. So, now the Dallas Opera is starting the fall campaign. I've had 2 mailings at my place. Two at my parents place. One a friend got and handed to me, because I like that stuff. And I just got one at work that was for a former employee.


So every time I turn around in the last 3 days, I see this guy. He's the poster boy for the opera's ad campaign this year. And there he is everywhere I look, big as life. I swear to god it's like being stalked through the postal service.


Well, forget it, Opie. I don't like opera. I don't care if you do have eyes like fields of clover. People singing at the top of their lungs in a foreign language in ridiculous costumes for $50 a pop isn't my idea of a fun Saturday night. I could go to a drag show to get over-the-top costumes for that price. And get 2 gin and tonics. And it would be in English.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I like some opera - La Tosca, anything Mozart, et al. and he IS a cutie - they sure know the demographic they are targetting - But it is pricey and they need to learn to learn that those of us who did not inherit or marry into money cannot afford such things weekly or on a whim.

FirePhrase said...

I got another one. Son of a biscuit eater. What is the deal?

Can't explain my long-standing opera antipathy. Considering that I'm nuts about musical theater, you'd think. But no. Even if it was a cheap ticket, I'd be hard pressed to sit through an entire opera. Let the richies have it.

TIME: Quotes of the Day