Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Oooo. Pretty!




Seeing Washington Gardener's bloom day blog reminded me of a few pictures of flowers that I've picked up on my cell phone in the last month, and I thought I'd post them.






First is a very confused wisteria vine that started blooming at the beginning of last month. Admittedly, I'm no gardener, but I thought wisteria was a spring flower. Still, this was the first one that showed on this particular vine, and then by a couple of days later it was covered. Maybe it was just in a good mood. Didn't stay long, but it was pretty while it lasted.






Then comes a pretty little rose that was on a bush that was next to a wharehouse store. I don't think the poor thing gets any love at all, but even so it had several blooms, that smelled really pretty.




And last is a stand of yucca that's started to bloom. It's one of those things that just pops up out of nowhere in the southwest. I pass these plants every day. And most of the year they're just kinf of anonymous, tall, spikey leaves. Then one day there's a stalk. Next day, boom! Dainty white flowers. Maybe it's having lived in a dry climate so long, but this is just one of my favorites.

3 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Yes, that wisteria must be confused. My yucca bloom in early summer and are done by July - maybe different variety to those in TX. I heard those blossom petals are edible and nice in salads - a light cucumber flavor. I have not tasted mine as they are in the dog-walking zone...

FirePhrase said...

Mmmm. These are on public property (well away from any pooch potties). They sound tasty enough that I might try snitching some. I think there's something that you can do with yucca root too. Flour maybe? Or a mash?

WashingtonGardener said...

Yes, I live me sound fried yucca - I believe it is the long tap root - I only see it at the Hispanic grocery stores already prepped and frozen in bags like tater tots - so I'm not sure if you have to strip and pre-boil it or what.

TIME: Quotes of the Day