Friday, August 8, 2008

Toke it or leave it

We've gone over the "I'm not cool thing", right? I'm not. Whatever it is that makes somebody cool I don't got it. It's fine though. I'd love to be cool, but I try to take comfort in being delightful in other ways.

Here's a tell that I'm not cool. I won't be seeing Pineapple Express. Why? Because I don't get pot humor. It just doesn't make me laugh. From Cheech & Chong to Dazed & Confused to Harold & Kumar, I've never gotten it. It must be some sort of chemically induced kind of funny, and since I'm a clean teen, I don't have the requisite residual doobage in my system to clue me in on the jokes. It's not like this stuff is Moliere or anything. I understand what's supposed to be funny. It just doesn't make me laugh (but for the major exception of Neil Patrick Harris in Harold & Kumar, NPH is a comedy ninja). And it seem like I'm going to be missing out in the comedy movie front for the forseeable future. With the rise of the Judd Apatow crew, it appears we are in a golden age of pot humor.

Sitting in Pineapple Express for me would be like going to a party where everybody else is high. Since I have a wide variety of friends of many different persuasions and proclivities, I've been there. Potheads always think they're hilarious. And if you don't see the humor gold in the fact that Doobie just misprounced the word "impossible", well, obviously, you're just too uptight to get it.

I've long ago accepted that recreational drugs are what the cool kids do. Or most of them anyway. There's a big overlap in that Venn diagram. And by not smoking weed, I've greatly lowered my probablity of ever achieving coolness. Ah, well. I seem to have made it okay this far not being cool, or sparking up. Guess I'll just keep on being my uncool self.

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day