Monday, August 4, 2008

Go, Green, Go! Yeeeeeeaaaa, Green!!

Okay, shake your pom-poms. It's the monthly time to rally for the environment. Actually I'm a little late. But it's beginning of the month-ish. And I'm going to keep up my monthly small bit, for old Mother Earth. I'm kind of "oh, what a good girl am I" pleased with is so far. The only thing I find a little distracting from the pure joy of doing something green is that it's so trendoid and in-crowd right not. I'm trying not to let the fact that "everyone" is doing it spoil my fun.

Last month's cutting out the creamer ploy worked really well. I'm adapted to the black coffee, more or less. And when I get desperate for something a little creamy, a benevolent co-worker let's me snarf off her her secret stash container of organic half-&-half (hey, hey, hey!!).

So for August, my goal is to stop using plastic utensils at work for lunch. Okay, when you do the math, the numbers aren't quite as staggering as when I toted up the creamer cups. But it does come to about 250 to 300 plastic pieces a year. That's nothing to sneeze at. So I'm going to bring a fork, knife and spoon from home to keep in my desk drawer for lunch purposes.

Okay, I'll grant, not the most creative change ever, or the biggest for that matter, but they can't all be brain busters, ja know? I'll put on my thinking cap and try to come up with something cool next month.

2 comments:

victory4angela said...

We have a Flavia coffee/tea machine at work, which dispenses individual cups of coffee based on what kind you want (sumatra, french vanilla, milky way...) It's awesome, but my coffee cup is too big and doesn't fit under the dispenser. If I want coffee (which I rarely do), I have to use a styrofoam cup. I hate that. We just got another machine on this side of the building (like it's really so far to walk to the other side?) that fits bigger mugs. Yay!!

FirePhrase said...

We have a similar type of machine. What I figured out was that if you swing the front door open, the machine will still work, and there's room for a bigger cup. It looks a little weird, but gets the job done.

TIME: Quotes of the Day