Monday, July 28, 2008

Well, hello, Zelda Rubinstein

You know I love going to the theater. Love the shows. But I can say without a doubt, I will never willingly go to a show at the downstairs stage at Theatre 3 again. Most uncomfortable.

The upstairs stage isn't giant, but there is some amount of distance between you and the actors. Plus my season tickets are a bit higher which gives even more space between you and the actors. The downstairs space is much smaller. I'd say that when the actors are downstage, there's no more than 15 feet between you and them. And the stage is just the floor of the room, while the seats are 3 rows set on risers. When they are standing and look out into the audience, they are looking you dead in the face.

It was like the TV looking back at you. Gah! The most totally Poltergeist-ish experience of my entire life. I kept expecting one of them to turn to me and start saying "Step into the liiiiiiighhht, Carol Anne!" Very disconcerting.

Frankly, I never want to interact with the people on stage. I don't want a comedian to ask me where I'm from. I don't want to be pulled in to join dancers at the Ren Faire. I don't want to pull a card from the deck. I don't do audience participation. But, I can say without a doubt that performers are, as a breed, sick bastards. Because I think they can smell the fear and dread on me. "I need a volunteer from the audience! You ma'am! Aw, she seems shy! Let's give her a hand . . ." Mother-f***er. Or if it's something where somebody has been told that they need to find a face in the audience to perform to, they'll laser on to me, and not break eye contact. Eeeek! I have no idea what to do in that situation. Do you smile? Look politely blank? Do you stare back? If you look away, is that rude? Freaks me out every time.

No more little stage venues for me. Just can't take the pressure.

2 comments:

Desiree' said...

I am sending you a message on your 360 account with a link to my comic-con pics. You will be jealous! lol

FirePhrase said...

Hey! Welcome back! Hope you had a phenomenal time. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the link. Phaser set on green-eyed jealousy.

TIME: Quotes of the Day