Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Earth Moved

So, another earthquake in Southern Cal. I'm always kind of interested in them, the same way I'm intrigued by hurricanes. If you've been in one, it's got a certain extra oomph to the story.

And I have been in an earthquake. Not a big one mind you. A 3.5. Not such a big deal as earthquakes go. But it was kind of hard to miss. It happened around 7:00 in the morning. I was still in bed, and in that nice sweet spot between drooling in the pillow and being fully awake. And all the sudden, it's like my bed is a raft on the ocean. Just kind of rolling up and down. I'm just awake enough to think "Huh. That doesn't usually happen." (At least not when I'm on my own. Heh-heh-heh.) And then it was over before I was fully awake, so - snuck-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - out like a light. I wasn't even fully aware that anything had happened. My dream sleep is ratty enough that I was just going to write it off as bad guac for dinner. But then when I make it up to watch the news, there are perky Southern California morning show anchors to tell me that there are two types of earthquakes - back and forth, and up and down, and what we experienced this morning . . . Oooooh. Ah-ha.

Anyway, having been through a teensy earthquake, I found it much easier to say "happy trails" to living in California. Not that I ran scared or anything. As any Californian will tell you 3.5 ain't no thing. But it did add some "been there/done that" flavor to my time. Had the earthquake, now I can leave. Done deal.

2 comments:

Desiree' said...

When we got on our flight at 1pm, someone mentioned an earthquake, but I thought nothing about it. When we got in to our layover in Atlanta, I had a few messages asking me if we were ok. I said "what earthquake?". Apparently we missed it. Probably when we were flying down the interstate to get to the airport.

FirePhrase said...

Isn't plate tectonics bizarre? Just from the terrain (and granted the terrain in San Diego county is really varied), with those mild earthquakes, some people will get shook really hard and some won't even notice.

TIME: Quotes of the Day