Friday, July 11, 2008

Let's do the Time Warp again!

Wheeeeee! George Michael!

I was thinking about this last night. This has really been my year to jump in the Wayback Machine. How many people get to not just relive their childhood, but relive their childhood with a live soundtrack provided by the original artists? Though, to be perfectly accurate, I'm not reliving my childhood, I'm reliving my '80s. Brett Michaels. Then Huey Lewis. Now George Michael. Now if only Prince and Duran Duran would come to town.

In picking out my outfit for the show, I'm having really conflicting fashion impulses. Part of me wants to wear what I would consider cute today. Some sort of drapey top, sandals with a heel, and jeans with a modest boot flare to balance my immodest booty (gotta keep that backfield covered). But the part of me wants to completely relive my teen years, and wear what I would have thought was cute if I had been able to see Wham! in its original lineup. I'm gravitating towards menswear look vests to pair with a white t-shirt, skinny jeans and my Chucks (think Mary Stuart Masterson in Some Kind of Wonderful). I've even seen a little black porkpie style hat that I would have given my left pinky finger for in 1987. I know. I know. It's so sad. Though luckily I gave away the peace symbol necklace that I wore with everything that year. Oh, my god. So scary.

So, anyway. I've got that decision to make. The '80s revival has one thing going for it over modern/hip casual. Chucks are way more comfortable than heeled sandals (my feet were so much happier back in the day). But we'll see if I have the guts to throw social norms to the wind, and dress like I truly am lost in the '80s. Well, it is me. I wouldn't bet against it.

4 comments:

Desiree' said...

I say just do it. Go for the 80's look. It will be fun. How often can you get away with it these days?

FirePhrase said...

It is sooooo tempting. I may have to run out and buy a vest.

WashingtonGardener said...

If Prince comesto Dallas 0 May have to drop in univited to go with you - however be forewarned he has officially retiredthe old hits so don;t go expecting some '80s throwback reunion -- well, okay - he HAS changed his mind before and I'm sure will throw ina bit of Let's Go Crazy for the old school crowd as needed,

FirePhrase said...

Prince would definitely be on the menu, and you're never not invited.

And how weird is this? Pat Benatar was playing less than a mile away from George Michael last night.

TIME: Quotes of the Day