Thursday, July 10, 2008

An Immodest Proposal

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-nudebeach5-2008jul05,0,7671185.story

I saw the headline and thought "Ick. Nude beach. Who wants to see chubby people naked on the beach?" But then I saw the picture with the article. These folks (tastefully holding their surfboards at a discreet angle) look pretty trim and healthy.

Then I thought, maybe that's the answer to our country's weight problems. Ban clothes. Wouldn't you have a different attitude towards your body if you knew that you wouldn't be able to hide that extra donut behind a pair of fat pants? A good pair of black slacks and a peasant blouse can be a really nice safety net when I know I've been hitting the candy jar a little too hard. Knowing that all the junk food in my trunk was going to be out there for the world to see, literally, I'd probably make different decisions about my diet. "Cheesecake? Sur. . .oh. Um. No thanks."

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day