Friday, May 30, 2008

Fools go where angels fear to tread

Okay. I'm officially obsessed. I can't think about anything but going to see The Fall. It's playing at the local Arty-Smarty theater (it's an art house with a freaking crystal chandelier, if you can wrap your head around that), that's not too far away. Though, I will have to drive to get there. And the way I assuage my guilty carbon emissions from $4 a gallon gas is to make somebody get in the car with me. But I am totally ambivalent about making somebody go with me to see this movie.

I've read the reviews. I know what kind of movie this is. This is the kind of movie that more than likely any friend who has to sit through it will end up wanting to squash me like a bug. You know the feeling. That sense of mental death waves that radiate from the seat next to you as the friend that you dragged to this movie silently hates your guts. This has happened to me more than once. Usually it's something with a lot of metaphor and visual allusions. I sit there loving the whole thing. Then I walk out all bubbly and ready to discuss, and my friend gives me the look. The one where one eye is doing the crazy-eye thing, and the other eye is doing the "I hate you madly" thing, and their lower jaw is thrust out like a panting wart hog. That look.

I think I may just have to go this one alone. This movie looks like it's kind where somebody may not just want to squash me like a bug. They may actually do it.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I So want to see this too - too bad we are in diff cities - I KNOW what you mean on the :dragged along friend" tip - some movies are worth seeing alone though so you can enjoy them in peace without the mental death rays.

FirePhrase said...

I think I may have to do this one alone. I usually like the communal aspect of seeing movies. But this one just might make someone go Scanners on me.

Desiree' said...

I like to see movies alone. No one to talk through it while I say "shh!". The only thing I miss is talking after the movie on the way out of the theater. But the best way to avoid the mental death rays? Make them watch the trailer online before you go. If they still say they will go, that is their bad judgment. lol

FirePhrase said...

An insurance policy! I like it. Because when I'm excited about a movie, I tend to oversell it. When you've built a movie up as "probably the greatest thing EVER", and the other person ends up hating it, those mental death rays can get pretty intense.

TIME: Quotes of the Day