Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Funny or Money?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080528/wl_uk_afp/lifestylebritainauctionhistory;_ylt=ArWLwPd7PEBAIgr47Tn_sWGs0NUE

You have no idea how much I love these stories. Somebody finds out that the thing that's been sitting there for years is really valuable. I remember seeing one story where a family found out that the dresser that they'd been throwing wet swimsuits on was worth half a million dollars. I remember hearing one about a guy buying a paperweight at a garage sale, and it turned out to the only known sample of this particular type of rock on the entire planet - so it's basically priceless.

I kind of mentally collect all those stories. It's kind of like winning the lottery. Only cooler. I have these fantasies about being at some garage sale, or up in an attic and finding some long lost Monet painting. Of course the practical thing would be to sell it for a big stack of dolly-ollars. But the other side of me would just want to hang it up on the wall, and have it be my little secret - "hee hee! I've got Mo-net-ay! I've got a Mo-net-ay!" And if anybody notices it, "Oh, yeah. It's just something I picked up at a garage sale. It's rather nice, isn't it?"

Okay, I should probably take it as a sign that I have an odd sense of humor that I find that idea hilarious. Hilarious enough that I would rather hang a masterpiece in my bathroom than sell it for a couple mill? Mmmm. Good question. That would have to be pretty freaking funny. Good thing I'll probably never have to find out.

1 comment:

WashingtonGardener said...

Today I passed by a garbage pick-up pile at a neighbors - a painting of pink doves was sticking out - crude but recognizable -- I considered for about .5 seconds pulling it out. What if? Hope springs eternal...

TIME: Quotes of the Day