Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The touch, the feel

Okay, this was another thing I forgot to mention from the TITAS show on Saturday. Just a little thing, but it did tickle my brain a little.

You know when men say they “don’t understand women”? This is one of those things in which I’d say, no, men don’t understand this one little thing. It matters what you wear, in more ways that are not obvious.

At the end of the show, a gentleman came up to tell me about a problem with his tickets. Very nice looking, well dressed, the whole nine. And when there are problems, I bust out the fluff-and-fold service. Nodding with concern, making the “oh, dear” face, perhaps tutting a little. As much as those folks pay for their tickets, the deserve a little fluff if things go wrong. I’m quite good at it. Well, since he seemed like a nice person, I went to the extra (and I do admit it’s risky behavior) step of patting him gently on the arm in a “you poor thing” sort of way.

Let me just say, that was a damn good jacket he was wearing. In the low light, it looked well-cut and a nice dark color. But touching revealed luxurious fabric too. Some sort of velvet with a little extra nap. Possibly a little wool in the fiber content. Mmmmm. Very nice. I could have pet his arm for hours.

And that is something men don’t know about women. We are easily seduced by the tactile. We like lovely to look at, but pleasing to the touch will just sneak right past our defenses. Oh, sure your no-iron shirts and stain resistant pants will get you through the day, but it ain’t going to get you play. Not the way a buttery suede jacket will. Not that I’m calling for any Ed Wood/angora sweater action. That’s probably a step too far for most women. But a little well-worn chambray, a touch of distressed leather, a 4-wale corduroy, and oh, that cashmere, and a well-placed arm positioned just right for petting can work wonders.

2 comments:

glorm said...

Ah, yes.

Some women sew-ers have been known to fondle their fabric.

FirePhrase said...

To misquote Seinfeld, "If it were socially acceptable, I would drape myself in velveteen."

I think men miss the connection. If some women fondle fabric, then they might also fondle you inside the fabric. Just a suggestion.

TIME: Quotes of the Day