Monday, April 25, 2011

A night at the ballet

So, Saturday I ushered for TITAS’s Command Performance gala. It’s their annual fund raiser where they do a recital type show of ballet crowd pleasers, prior to a grande fete with dinner, dancing and formal attire. The show is open to general ticket purchase, but you have to have a magic ticket to get into the magic kingdom afterward. And there are really only two things to say about the entire experience.

First, the rich are truly different from you and me. And that’s all I’m going to say about that.

Second, the dancing was truly exquiz. A gala would have been anticlimactic, at least for this girl. My favorite part, and it’s really only because I adore paradox, was the duet from Le Corsaire. The male half of that duo was stunningly built, rather macho for a ballet dancer, and attired in sparkly blue harem pants, yards of bare chest and a single sparkly feather jutting suggestively from his headband. Naughty. He was very heroic, doing these leaps and mid-air turns with masculine gusto. Now the touch of dichotomy comes in when he does this move that I think was supposed to be commanding in the Yul Brynner mode, where he’d put his hands to his chest with his elbows thrust out. But to me it looked incredibly reminiscent of the classic cheesecake pose with the topless girl modestly cupping her naked boobies, wink, wink, a la Varga. So he’d go from Sexy Man leaping through the air – to chastely holding his breastesses. Okay, maybe I’m the only one who thought it was a giggle. But then, the rich are definitely not like me.

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day