Friday, April 29, 2011

Nice day for a white wedding

I’m coming out with an opinion (what, no! you?) yes, me! And I swear this will be the only time I’ll comment on the royal wedding (goddamn, the thing is more contagious than Ebola). And it’s about the dress. And really, that’s all anyone really cared about. It won’t seem like it at first, but it is about the bridal dress. Trust me.

Pippa Middleton’s dress was white. Which is usually a no-no. I loved it. Here’s why:

First, she managed Kate’s cathedral train, and looked it just looked uber-striking in the pictures. The train flowing into her sister’s dress. In fact, I liked it so much, I think there should be a new rule that all maids of honor should wear white when there’s a cathedral train on the bride’s dress. Let’s get right on lobbying Miss Manners for a ruling.

Second, in Mexican weddings the maid of honor frequently wears white to signify the bride’s purity. Okay, I’m not going so far as to call purity on a 29-year old woman who has lived with her new husband. It’s a fairy tale wedding, but it’s not that big of a fairy tale. I’m just saying, there’s precedent for the while maid of honor dress.

And, third and final, who is looking at the color when she was showing way too much cleave for a church wedding. Westminster Abbey, no less. Come on, girl. Stick a piece of lace in there or something. This is no time to show off the girls.

And that’s officially all I will be saying about the wedding. Good luck, kids. You’re going to need it.

2 comments:

glorm said...

My invitation finally arrived, but my Hat didn't, so I couldn't go. Oh, well. I agree with you that Pippa needed a little more dress, a little less skin for a church wedding, but I did like it.

FirePhrase said...

Just call us "Royal Watchers".

And on a side note that I refuse to acknowledge is still talking about the Wedding Royale: I've seen some people commenting that Mama Middleton's dress was a little plain for a royal event. I think she was erring on the side of not looking nouveau riche. God knows the royals know how to frump it up but good. Then there was Posh Beckham who took the "better nouveau than never, mother##ckas!" approach. Bless her heart.

TIME: Quotes of the Day