Friday, May 28, 2010

It's always something

I don’t usually talk about my job. But in the obliquest terms possible.

People ask me how I got to be an administrative assistant from an English degree – just lucky I guess. Because, even though I can read Chaucer with an impeccable Middle English accent, there’s not a lot of call for it in today’s job market. Or any job market since about 1450.

But, the life of the admin is full of excitement. If you find stuff flying at you from left field exciting. And my boss is way capable of beaning me with a hard ball straight to the noggin’ every once in awhile. It’s like living in a prime time soap. The plot twists just keep coming. Even after 9 years.

You know, I’ll think I’ve got the job knocked. Nothing else can surprise me. Then . . . Like let’s say that I worked for a knife thrower. It’s like the boss will come up and say, “I think we need a pink Chihuahua into the act.” A Chihuahua? Pink? Are we still throwing knives? Gotta say, the boss can still stump me every once in awhile.

Enjoy the Memorial Day weekend, kids.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Eveb being your own boss, yiu get pink chihauhaus thrown at you - such is life :-)

FirePhrase said...

There are always somebody who's ready to throw a pink Chihuahua at you.

TIME: Quotes of the Day