Thursday, February 4, 2010

wobble wobble wobble

Well, I thought I’d share with you something that I’ve discovered.

I was really dissatisfied with my office chair. The dang thing is (like most real office chairs) expensive as hell, relatively cool looking due to webbing and swoopy shape, and only slightly more comfortable than sitting in an iron maiden (bogus, Ted). My hips were killing me. I had to add extra padding to get any back support. And, annoying at least to me, the seat doesn’t tilt forward or backward to relieve pressure on your hips and thighs. Not a pleasant place to spend 8+ hours a day.

I was looking for alternatives. Given the previously noted high price of office chairs, and the corporate need for conformity, I wasn’t likely to get away with just buying my own and carting it to the office. So I was going to have to think outside the box. I started thinking about those balance balls. I had heard they were good for posture and concentration (some kinesthetic thing they use for kids with ADD), both things I could stand improving. But after reading reviews on Amazon, I figured out that in an actual office setting (moving from keyboard to phone to file drawer, getting up frequently, long stretched of not getting up frequently), the ball was not optimal. Plus, anything different is a cause for comment in an office. I just don’t need that action.

But while I was looking around, I discovered the balance training disc. It’s used for a lot of exercises. But what I was interested in was that you can put it in your regular chair to give you a balance ball lite experience. The one I got was $17 and included the pump, and had super saver shipping available.

So far I’m just pretty darned happy with what I’m calling my wobble seat. It looks like a giant, blue whoopee cushion. And basically, it can help you to force yourself to sit straighter. And it works your abs in the process. Yes, I said it. My abs are definitely tighter. If it’s possible to exercise while sitting on your ass (a personal dream of mine), then this is it. Okay, I’m not some Women’s Health magazine, washboard tummied, cover model. But things have definitely firmed up. And I’m thinking as a result, I’ve taken some stress off my back because my stomach muscles are taking more of the load. Always a good thing.

It takes some getting used to. My butt would get sore after a few hours on the wobble seat for the first few weeks. But now I use it all day most work days without even thinking about it. And if you get one, make sure you get one that has the hedgehog looking nubbly side. It looks a little like you’re getting a little too friendly with your cushion. But I’ve discovered that it is much less squeaky than the smooth side. If you know what I mean (see whoopee cushion comment . . .).

6 comments:

glorm said...

Any chance of working your way up the ladder to head the company so you can have any chair your back desires? Just a thought.

FirePhrase said...

Mmyeah, no. It would blow my whole "outsider, anti-establishment, post-punk, maverick" vibe. I'm just going to buck the dominant paradigm on the down low with my sneaky seaty. You know. Cool like that.

WashingtonGardener said...

LOL I can't believe you persevered past the few hours and then butt pain days - that first one for me and the wobbler would have been in my dustbin.

FirePhrase said...

You know I probably would have if it wasn't for the fact that once my butt got tired I could just pull the wobble seat out and throw it on the floor. Tomorrow is another day, after all.

victory4angela said...

I am interested in this! Is it one of those little inflatable disc thingies? Where'd you get it so I can look into buying one? I think I've seen them at my gym (I think people with ankle problems balance on them)

FirePhrase said...

Got mine on Amazon. I think it was $17 with FREE Super Saver shipping. I think the brand was iFit. Comes with it's own little bicycle pump thingy. It really couldn't be any easier. Which is probably why I've been successful at it. You know me and the exercise. Not friends.

TIME: Quotes of the Day