Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Flakey First Impressions

I’ve noticed that there are things where my perception and the reality are soooo far off. And even though I’m totally aware of the reality, the first impression sticks, and I can’t shake it. Completely in spite of any evidence to the contrary, I operate under that initial assumption.

For instance, the first right ups I saw for Madeleine Peyroux made her sound like the second coming of Peggy Lee. I was totally stoked. Bought the CD. Felt completely betrayed. Blech. She’s like a dime store Norah Jones, with Diana Krall pretensions. Sings everything in the key of G (ee, I find your voice really annoying). But for some reason, I remember the Peggy Lee bit, and forget the G part. So I’ll tune into some music show on purpose because I see her name, or buy some song off of iTunes, and be all excited. Whooo, this’ll be great! Then it’s not. And I remember. Oh, right. Can’t stand her. Try to remember that next time, Julie.

On the other end of the spectrum is Dax Shepherd. I think I hate him. I avoid movies that he’s in. Maybe it’s the Punked association. Or maybe he just looks like someone who is in bad movies. Then when I actually accidentally see something he’s done, it’s like, “Oh, he’s not half as stupid as he looks.” In fact, he was the only one who made Employee of the Month remotely bearable. And he was surprisingly effective in a sort of butch part in Zathura. I know these facts to be true. But still, if I saw him on a cast list of a movie today, I can’t guarantee that I wouldn’t automatically strike it off my list. I’ve cut him far less slack than Keanu Reeves. And lord know that guy owes me a ton of cash.

Obviously, I’ve got a glitch in my software. Something in the MEDb (Mental Entertainment Database). Though obviously, I’m not always wrong. Anything with Kim Cattrall will definitely suck. Or she will be the sucky link in an otherwise entertaining chain.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I do that too with films -
ooh this looks good" - watch 5 minutes, "oh yeah, I saw this and it sucked" remind me notto do that agin, three months later, rinse and repeat.

FirePhrase said...

My dad does that all the time. "This is a good movie." "Yeah, you said that when we saw it in the theater." "We saw it in the theater? Was I there?"

TIME: Quotes of the Day