Friday, February 5, 2010

Down in Poo-Poo Park

Do you want to know why we don’t have nice things in Dallas? This is why.

In December, they opened a lovely new park near my office in downtown. And it’s truly lovely, in many ways. There are green spaces, reclaimed art decorations, natural materials, solar powered lights, student friendly study spaces, a kids entertainment area and, at some point, a café. Like a real city and everything. Oh, and a doggy play area.

You see where I’m going with this? I can tell you do.

Less than two months in, and the doggy play area is covered in doggy crap. Right in front of the sign that asks that you pretty please clean up after your own animal, which has a convenient, yet obviously not convenient enough, receptacle for little love muffins from dear poochy.

I love dogs. You love dogs. Actually, I only like dogs. But really, I get that other people LOVE their dogs. But the stuff that you feed your dog doesn’t smell all that good before they eat it. It does not improve after a trip through the dark recesses of their digestive tracks. And don’t you think that you, who love your animals, are better equipped to pick up the damn dog crap than I who only just likes the beasts?

So, slowly but surely, the puppy tootsie rolls are piling up in the park that belongs to all of us. Unsightly on a cold day. Not improved with the warm, damp days of spring. And just as surely, the deposits are making their way into the pedestrian areas. Thanks. Really. We appreciate your sharing.

As I say, I only like dogs. I don’t love one enough to pick up doggy poop. My solution is to NOT OWN A DOG. There are other ways to go about it though. Pooper scoopers of every size, shape and price range. (And frankly, if you own a dog, and live in downtown close enough to walk in that park, price is obviously not a factor for you.) Sure it’s gross. But that’s not my problem. But your dog’s crap on the sidewalk, and wafting through the air, is my problem. And it shouldn’t be.

Actually, it’s everybody’s problem. Because in order for Dallas to be a nice place to live, we need places like this park that add life and breath to our common spaces. Places to chill out. Places to play Frisbee. Places to walk off a bad meeting. But if the city can point to this example, “Well, we tried to make a nice park, but you let your dog crap all over it”, then even our tiniest steps towards a warm and inviting city will be crushed.

You live in a urban area and don't have a yard. Cool. Happy to share the park. Love to see you and your dog. You're adorable, really. But be a responsible pet owner, you twit. Pick up the damn dog shit. You’re going to ruin it for everybody.

5 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

The last few weeks have seen an euruption of bad dog owners in my surrounding neighborhoods - off-leash dogs and doggie doo non-picker-uppers. The discussion lists are going haywire with the battles and accusations. Dog owners are agitating for a dog park to solve these problems, but we ALL know as your post proves that it is not a solution and willjust make the problems worse.

glorm said...

I would hate to see it a requirement that pet owners must take a class in How to be a Responsible Pet Owner, but maybe it will come to that.

WG: I wonder if those dogs will know that they have to wait until they get to the doggie park? Haha.

FirePhrase said...

You know that do call it "pet adoption", maybe they should look at upping the screening process. "This is a plastic bag. Do you know how to use it?"

victory4angela said...

The dog owners around my area do clean up after their dogs at the dog parks I've been to and I am grateful for that. In my part of town, I haven't seen too many incidents of poor doggy/owner behavior and I bring my WaPo bag with me when I walk the dog. He knows we're going for a walk when I reach into my stash of plastic bags!

It is pretty rude when they don't pick up and they are ruining it for everyone.

FirePhrase said...

See? There are responsible dog owners. You haven't gotten a disease. You don't love your dog less. If dog poo was pleasant, you wouldn't have to walk a dog. You'd just let them crap in the living room.

TIME: Quotes of the Day