Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snow White, Grumpy and a Little Dopey

Alright, now I’m just grumpy. We were supposed to have “wintry mix” start around 2:00 am. More rain than snow, becoming snow in the afternoon. I kept waking up and cocking one ear towards the window – no rain? Good. Maybe we’ll only get a little sideswipe from this storm. Then just before I got out of bed I thought, “Wouldn’t it be funny if the reason I haven’t heard rain is because it snowed instead, and I opened the curtain to everything covered in white? Ha, ha, ha.” Actually, it’s not funny at all.

We already had 3 inches at sunrise. And it’s been coming down in waves of tiny specks to fat flakes for hours. I’d take a picture out the window for you, but from the 45th floor it wouldn’t be very interesting. Hold up a piece of blank paper in front of your face and you’ll get about the same experience.

And so I’m just sitting here thinking about my cold, damp, windblown trudge to the train station. And the choice of routes that I have from the train station, which range from nasty to nastier to suicidal. People in Texas go snow-loco. They don’t know how to drive in it. And the concept of slowing down in hazardous conditions appears to be a completely foreign concept. I take that back. Somebody at this very moment is driving 4 miles an hour on the freeway. With their brights on.

This is of course assuming that I’m actually able to leave downtown tonight. Not a guarantee. Which, of course, takes not fun and multiplies it by a million.

If I dare even for a second complain about hot weather this summer, I want you to take a snowball that you saved in the freezer and just whip it at my head.

2 comments:

glorm said...

It's a little late now as you are at work, but an overnight bag is a good idea---just in case it keeps snowing and you need to stay in a hotel for the night.

Guess the person in charge of the weather forgot that Dallas isn't supposed to get a lot of snow.

My money says that you will complain about the heat this summer. You will be forgiven! It's our right to complain about the weather.

FirePhrase said...

I actually have an emergency toiletries kit at the office. And by a freakish set of circumstances, I have a pair of khakis and a t-shirt here too. There's a hotel that you can get to by the tunnels. I'm definitely not up for risking my life or anything.

And you're probably right about still whining in the summer. Sounds like something I'd do. You can still hit me with a snowball.

TIME: Quotes of the Day