Monday, February 8, 2010

The fine art of giving up

Okay, well, Lent approaches. And I’m finally convinced that I need to make up a new word what it is that I do. I’m tired of the oddball looks from people who know I’m not religious, let alone a Catholic. I give up. I’ll call it . . . I don’t know. Something else. But I’m still starting the day after Mardi Gras. It just makes too much sense to have an officially sanctioned indulgence day. But I’m going end April 1st. A good day to start up with foolishness again.

So. The eliminating processed foods is ramping up well. I’ve added in much more fruit. I should have most, if not all, of the processed foods out of my house by the weekend. I’ve discovered I can make a fairly reliable bread. I’ve got beans and rice stocked. I won’t starve. My nervous factor on this is far lower than last year’s vegetarian not-Lent thing (see, that’s no good; need a better word). And actually, I’m pretty confident that this is an easily attainable goal.

Which puts me in the position that I think I’m going to have to add the thing that I’ve been thinking of giving up. Just to make this a real challenge.

I think I’m going to give up TV.

Actually, I know I’m going to give up TV, because if I don’t at this point I’ll feel like a giant wussburger, and the worst sort of coward. But if I say “I think I’m going to”, it keeps me from going into all out panic mode.

Because this really is a panic for me. I LOVE TV. I’ve been addicted to TV for as long as I can remember. It’s entertainment. It’s the noise in the room when I’m by myself. It’s something to look forward to when there’s nothing much else going on. It’s probably my biggest crutch. And the idea of giving it up makes me want to throw up a little.

I know why I shouldn’t be so dependent on the boob tube. As far as time sucks go, it’s way up there. I could be getting a lot more done in life. I might even have a clean house. Whoa. Let’s not get crazy here. But I definitely would have more time for books, cooking, seeing friends, music, deep thoughts.

I truly do know the level of dependence I have though. And still want to throw up just thinking about it. But, over the time I’ve done this, this sort of reaction really leads me to believe I’m probably doing the right thing. So, I think I’m going to give up TV, too. For . . . well, I guess without TV I’ll have plenty of time to figure out what to call it.

6 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Not TV! YIKES!!!

Here is a blog post thought you might like:
http://snoburbia.typepad.com/the_snoburbs/2010/02/how-will-it-play-in-peoria.html

FirePhrase said...

I know. Double yikes.

Not that Anderson Cooper, his partner and a little Haitian baby wouldn't just bury the adorable needle (seriously, Brangelina who?), but I can't see that happening. If he's going to jeopardize his dream job by going all Ellen Degeneres, I think he'd be more likely to do it in support of a rights issue like marriage. The man understands the media far to well to blow currency like that.

glorm said...

Instead of Lent, could you call it Limits? And, my goodness, don't give up the TV! Instead, put a limit on it.

FirePhrase said...

Limits is good. I had been thinking Lacuna (since something will be missing).

I think giving it up until April 1 will help me set limits. First, cleaning the palate by going cold turkey. And, second, while I'm on the wagon, letting other things in that may become as appealing. May. Big "may" there.

victory4angela said...

When I was a kid, we used to stay in a rented beach house in Fenwick Island, DE that had no tv (and an outdoor shower - COOL!) and I loved that week. We'd hang out on the beach during the day and play Trivial Pursuit or monopoly at night. I'd read old Reader's Digest that previous renters had left behind or just make up games outside. When my aunt, uncle, & cousin started coming along they started bringing a tv and I thought it took away so much of our quality family time we had had before. I hated that tv interrupting our vacation.

With that being said, I could only forgo the tv if I was on vacation somewhere where I had plenty to do to keep me entertained. It would be difficult at home for more than a day! It's my background noise when I'm not paying attention. No tv would be TOUGH.

FirePhrase said...

I'm the same way with the background noise. And being single, it's kind of something other than my own voice (that sounds kind of pathetic). And it's entertainment. And I love stories, the what-will-happen-next. All of it.

But even though the dread has gotten really intense, I still think I need to try.

TIME: Quotes of the Day