Thursday, February 18, 2010

It ain't cat scratch fever

You know how they say some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope? Hello. Please allow me to introduce myself.

At least in the winter here in Texas. When it’s cold, well, it’s cold. And I think my feelings about that are pretty clear. But when it’s warm, that’s mountain cedar time.

Mountain cedar is actually a juniper. It grows like crazy in central Texas around the hill country. It really takes hold in areas that were over-grazed by the cattle industry. Mountain cedar is in season from around the start of fall to around the middle of spring. And it pollinates like crazy whenever the weather warms up past 45 or so. You know you’re standing next to an active mountain cedar when you think, “Hmm. I wonder who lit my sinuses on fire.”

Most people seem to have a reaction to mountain cedar, known as cedar fever in Texas. From mild itchy eyes and a tickle in the throat, up to full blown allergy attacks. You could probably put me on the hood of your car and use me as a locator. As soon as my eyes turn red, you know you’re headed in the right direction.

Mountain cedar is actually not all that common in Dallas proper. But warm weather and prevailing winds bring the pollen to us. On a day like, oh, today. My head is pounding, my eyes feel like the cat has been using them as toys and my left sinus keeps trying to pop out of my right nostril. I find that most allergy meds are moderately effective. And if you slap on a layer of AllergenBlock, you have a fighting chance.

It’s just one of those little things about living in Texas. Like people who think queso is a food group or believe that Jesus cares if the Cowboys make it to the Super Bowl.

2 comments:

victory4angela said...

I'll take 2.5 ft of snow vs raging sinus attacks, thank you very much. But I do hope you feel better soon.

PS Many Texas are going to be upset with you for daring to question whether Jesus cares if the Cowboys make it to the Super Bowl. Clearly, this year He has turned his attention to the Saints. Their name kinda fits in with his overall agenda, anyway.

FirePhrase said...

I always saw Jesus as more of a baseball guy. But it's for sure he's not a Rangers fan.

TIME: Quotes of the Day