Friday, December 18, 2009

Where are Crow and Tom Servo when you need them?

Okay, so last night, I’m trying to finish hats for my nephew’s bald, little head. Fingers flying. Ears bored. So I turn on the TV. I just leave it on the same channel. I just needed noise.

This movie starts. I kind of glance at the title. Hard Luck. Familiar? Maybe. I don’t know. Whatever.

This movie is holy crap bad. In the first 5 minutes, they roll out the lead character’s entire back story. Good guy gone wrong. Goes to prison. Finds redemption in the love of a good social worker. Gets released. Hurricane Katrina hits and kills his wife and destroys his home. He goes back to New York. Where, oh, by the way, he’s from. Did I mention this is all in 5 minutes? Did I mention this is Wesley Snipes? Oh, you say. That explains a lot. Yes, it does.

Along the way, there’s a white boy who thinks he’s Tony Montana, a Puerto Rican girl who says she’s Cuban (why? I don’t know. Maybe it’s more exotic), Mario Van Peebles as a cop, a gun fight that becomes a car chase, and Cybill Shepherd dressed in a French Maid outfit with a plastic mask on engaging in some seriously weird Saw action with her young Asion boy toy, while her mentally challenged son sits in a farm house (why? I still don’t know). And there’s something going on with the Mafia. Or the cops. I wasn’t sure on that point. It didn’t seem to make a difference. Anyway, I gave up after a half hour. Yeah, that was all in a half hour.

Remember when Wesley Snipes was the new Denzel Washington? Yeah, me too. Wonder if he does. Remember when Mario Van Peebles was a respectable actor and director? Yeah. Me neither. Remember when Cybill Shepherd left Moonlighting to do bigger things? Bet she cries herself to sleep at night remembering that too.

6 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I still love him for Blade and tell me you did NOT miss the DR Who maratheon BBC america last night!

FirePhrase said...

Blade was good. Back when he was still holding on to respectability like the crumbling edge of the cliff.

Missed it? No. Saw it? Also no. I find David Tennant so entirely unappealing I was out after the first 3 eps of his tenure. Though I did enjoy his star turn as Ratatouille. Regrettable since all reports are that the story lines are incredible. Just can't get past his nostrils.

glorm said...

This is not a direct comment to your post, but a question I have. You blog a lot and I check in twice a day. I notice that some do not comment for 3-4 days after you post. Thus, I go through your previous posts each time and check the number of comments. (Somehow I seem to remember what the last number was).

I was wondering if there is a way to set this so the number of "new, since last read" comments can be noted? Or, can one only set it to be notified for new comments on their own blog?

This may be minor, but you blog a lot!!! I do enjoy the comments people make also.

FirePhrase said...

I am a little blog addicted, huh? I've actually cut back quite a bit.

I haven't figured out a way to do that. I only know about the comments because I have the replies e-mailed to me. I'll do a little more checking around and see if I can come up with anything.

WashingtonGardener said...

FP - David T was just voyed best DR Who of all time for the DW fandom! I think he is decent - his "boyishness" is not my cup of tea, but certainly he has great energy and was even an admitted DW fanboy before he got the role - and it shows/
This past weekend was the begining of the end of his arc a 3-story arc and the new Dr is a young hunky one it looks like. And yes, you have misses some of the best writing this series ever had Russell Davis is a freaking genius.

FirePhrase said...

Well, there's no accounting for taste. It's a pity. I just find David Tennant to be one giant, unrelenting case of the crazy eye. Thought I'm not at all sure I'm ready for a young, let alone hunky, Doctor. That's just doesn't seem right. Maybe they'll turn the whole thing into a graphic novel and I can get in on this story line.

TIME: Quotes of the Day