Thursday, December 17, 2009

Lump o' Coal

Okay. I’m getting Grinchy. Enough already with the Christmas.

My fault. I popped the cork too soon. I started doing Christmas right after Thanksgiving. Mis-take. I jumped in and knitted, and shopped, and decorated, and drank eggnog, and listened to Christmas music, and watched holiday specials, and uuuuuuugggggghhhhhh.

Too much of a good thing. I’m really starting to get tired of Christmas music. And just on a personal note to all radio stations, more than one version of the same song in the same hour does not count as a different song. I don’t care if Nat King Cole and Christine Aguilera have a “different take” on the classic. It’s still chestnuts roasting on an open fire. And enough with the Perry Como. You shouldn’t operate a vehicle under the influence of Perry Como. And speaking of under the influence, could somebody please get Sarah Mclachlan some antidepressants? Girl sounds fit to slash her dang wrists. And I love Burl Ives. You love Burl Ives. Everybody loves Burl Ives, but Holly Jolly Christmas is on too many play lists. There is no federal regulation that states it must be played every hour. There are a lot of other perfectly good songs out there. Everybody and their dogs have a Christmas album. This is why God created iTunes.

Okay. Whew. Glad I let that out. It was giving me acid reflux. Or maybe that was the 20 ginger snaps that I ate. Anyway. I’ll get back on track. If I can get everything done by Saturday, I may take a Christmas-free Sunday, and just avoid all things holly and jolly for a day. A holiday-less sorbet to cleanse the palate.

Next year, 12 days of Christmas ONLY.

8 comments:

victory4angela said...

I am SO far behind in all things Christmas. I need another week, please! I just realized yesterday that d-day is just 9 (now 8) days away. YIKES! I have to finish Christmas shopping, then there's the food for Christmas dinner, people to call to verify they're coming and see what they're bringing.

I have barely listened to ONE Christmas song or watched one tv special (did see Prep and Landing. Wanted to like it, but it was, eh). I have a proposal due on Jan. 7th and I've been working around the clock. I hate the Government. They are grinches.

FirePhrase said...

You know, I've kind of opted out of Christmas for a couple of years. So I really jumped in. Drove out to look at lights, the whole shmear. And I've let other things go that should have been done. I'm still nowhere near done. And I'm just beyond beyond it. The secret to a happy Christmas? Lowered expectations.

victory4angela said...

The best part is they're predicting between 1 FOOT and 2 FEET of snow starting tonight at midnight.

My conundrum: more christmas shopping or grocery shopping for next week since I will be snowed in? You know how it is around here with even the hint of snow. Panic! Buy 57 roll of TP, every loaf of bread in the store, and gallons of milk. We could be snowed in for a month!

FirePhrase said...

Me, I'd hit the mall, and do my Christmas shopping while people are off ravaging the grocery store. You know. Just take a leap of faith and assume that the DC are won't turn into The Road just because it's going to snow.

And what is it with the TP? Does snow give some people diahrrea? Somebody should tell them the yellow stuff is no good to eat.

WashingtonGardener said...

FP they CLOSED The malls - that is how bad is was - even today - digging out time - several stores are announcing they are not open due to employees not being able to reach them -

FirePhrase said...

I saw your pics! That's an actual snow storm. Hopefully everybody there decides it's a sign that the holidays should slow down, not a challenge to get it al done in 2 less days. People in DC do actually know how to slow down don't they?

WashingtonGardener said...

FP - no, even at the height ofthe blizzard folks thought they were too important to stay in - despite repeated govt please to do so =- luckily, many gas stations ran dry as the truckers could not get in to refuel the stations - so that may have tamped the jackhole # down a bit on our roads
a neighbor had a Mustang bust thru her frontyard Sat night - WHY he was out was never answered

FirePhrase said...

Ah, just the opposite of Dallas. If a random snowflake hits the ground half the town takes the day off because the roads are impassable.

TIME: Quotes of the Day