Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Idle Hands

Okay, after all my years of watching Intervention and Dr. Drew Rehab of the Stars (drugs and sex editions), I may not be qualified to be an actual addiction therapist. But I have figured out one handy hint that I think would help all of these people.

Get a hobby.

And I mean this seriously. No facetiousness intended. What you see, time after time, is people who’ve given up the main thing that took up their time, who then have nothing but time to sit around with all their obsessive thoughts. A good hobby will take care of that. It’s something to do with your hands. In the case of sex addicts, a benefit not to be underestimated. In fact, as a devoted knitter, I’d recommend a yarn craft to start out. Those sex addicts could probably keep homeless shelters and NIC/ICUs stocked in blankets and preemie caps year round. Of course, as a functional yarn addict, I can tell you, it could be trading one addiction for another. But at least this one would result in a sweater.

Also, as a confirmed hobbyist, I can say that there is a certain buzz you get out of a completed project. The feeling of “I ROCK!” that comes with that last stitch, brush stroke, step, or whatever it is you do to keep busy is pretty damn good. Given the fact that every addict seems to have self-esteem lower than a snakes belly in a wagon rut, a little I ROCK could probably come in handy.

A good hobby will keep you engaged, give you a sense of achievement, give you something to talk to about to other hobbyists and it can get you through a tough time. And I’d think it could go a long way if you’re trying to get out of the Devil’s workshop.

3 comments:

victory4angela said...

Sadly, Tiger Woods already has a hobby! Most athletes take up golf for something else to do. Maybe Tiger could learn to play basketball or build model airplanes. The dude CLEARLY needs something else.

glorm said...

Your comment is hilarious, victory4angela!

I agree---get a hobby. It should be a requirement. By the way, what are your current yarn projects, jb?

FirePhrase said...

I'm not sure if Tiger is an example of the hazards of making your hobby a profession, or the dangers of being too good at your hobby (it should be a little challenging, no?), or just the perils of being a jackass. Take your pick. Definitely needs to get on the phone to Dr. Drew ASAP.

So, glad you asked, Glo! I just put my first felting project up to dry. It's a hobo style tote bag. I've got a second one that I'm going to finish the pockets on tonight and hope that I'll get it in the washer and out to dry before I go to bed. Next, caps for my nephews bald little head. Toddlers in my family can't grow hair for love or money.

TIME: Quotes of the Day