Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A slice of DEATH pie

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-rockrec10a-2009jun10,1,3812684.story

Okay, so I'm reading this recipe. I'm kind of excited. It's a raw food "cheese"cake. I've got a friend who is gluten sensitive and doesn't really like sweets. Yeah, making desserts that don't make her do the yucky face is a bit of a "challenge". So I'm thinking this recipe is ideal. No wheat. No processed sugar. It's no-bake, so good for the summer. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Liking it.

Until I get down to the freaking nutrition breakdown. Holy cats. 530 calories, 43 grams of fat, 18 grams sat fat. You've gotta be kidding me. And that's for an 8-inch pie cut in 10-12 pieces. I know pie. That is not a big slice, people. Hand a guest a slice of pie that slivery and there will be trouble. And you'd have to say "No, I'm not holding out on you. I'm just trying not to kill you." Heart attack on a dessert plate. And this thing is vegan, too. Can you imagine feeding it to some poor skinny little vegan. They'd probably go into some sort of convulsions or something. Their little bodies can't handle that kind of calorie load.

Sometimes I think that raw food diet goes to peoples' brains. 530 calories my sweet ass.

4 comments:

momo said...

You know that is always the case ... it won't trigger and alergic reaction, but it will clog your arteries and give you a heart attack!

FirePhrase said...

I keep going back to that recipe. Either it tastes like a slice of heaven, or like a petrified Almond Joy.

momo said...

Just read the recipe ... sounds like it would be VERY dense and rich. Not sure you would want more than 2 or 3 bites -- maybe just 200calories worth!

FirePhrase said...

2 or 3 bites doesn't sound like a lot of fun. And it doesn't even have whipped cream. Double no fun. Or a swirl of raspberry sauce. Double no fun with no whipped cream on top. Pass.

TIME: Quotes of the Day