Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Meet my friend Paloma

It’s been awhile since I’ve thrown a cocktail recipe in here. And in honor of Cinco de Mayo, I’m going to throw one at you. I know most people just do a pre-bottled margarita (though seriously, once you’ve tried homemade you never go back) or a Corona to celebrate CdeM. And while the Margie and Corona definitely have their place, sometimes you want something different.
This is a great drink whip out to impress your friends and wow your tastebuds. And if you try it and it doesn’t become part of your summer repertoire, I’ll eat a cucaracha. Actually, no I won’t. But trust me. You’ll love it.

Just a couple of notes: Most Paloma recipes call for blanco tequila and white grapefruit juice. Which is nice. But I like my Paloma a little funkier. I use a gold or reposada tequila and ruby red grapefruit. And definitely fresh-squeezed on the juice. Not negotiable. I’ve never found a good way to juice a grapefruit, so I just go in expecting a mess, knowing it’s worth it. Most stores carry agave nectar in Texas, but I don’t know about the rest of the world. It’s good stuff. Great in tea, and a lower glycemic index substitute for honey. If you can’t find it, you can substitute the same amount of simple syrup. I squeeze all the juice ahead of time to make mixing faster. Make lots. You’ll be pouring all night.

Paloma
1 serving

Ingredients:

- Ice
- 2 ounces tequila
- 3 ounces freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 ounce agave nectar (more or less to taste)
- Sea salt, to rim the glass
- 1 lime wedge, for garnish
- Club soda

Directions:
Pour the tequila, grapefruit juice, lime juice and agave nectar in a cocktail shaker over ice. Shake until frosty and strain into an ice-filled glass rimmed with sea salt. Garnish with the lime wedge and top with club soda.

2 comments:

momo said...

What time is the party !?

FirePhrase said...

We might just have to look into a belated Cinco celebration.

TIME: Quotes of the Day