Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Hope and Trepidation

Well, the new Star Trek movie is finally coming out. I’ve gone back and forth on this one a dozen times. Just to set the parameters, I would define myself as a Star Trek fan, but not a Trekkie. I thought the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas was a hoot and a half and a blast, but a full on convention would be too much for me. I get (and make) Star Trek jokes. I would not learn to speak Klingon. There’s some sort of line there and I haven't crossed it.

So, I’m looking forward to the new flick, and plan to see it in the first week, because I’ve heard there are some twists that I don’t want spoiled. But I’m not sure how much I’ll be disappointed if they seriously fool with the “canon”. I totally think there’s room for tweaking the formula. But sometimes you tweak the formula and end up with New Coke. Sometimes you tweak the formula and get Flamin' Hot Cheetos. And you never look at a Cheeto the same again. . .

Will Chris Pine completely over-write my memories of Bill Shatner as James T. Kirk (and yes, I know what the T. stands for)? No. Not possible. Could Karl Urban be the better Bones? Fairly unlikely. Can Simon Pegg baby those fussy engines? Okay, I may be able to give you that one. I’m willing to see. I think the world could use a new generation of kids who are captured by the idea of a future that still holds new frontiers. I think I’d like a new chance to see a vision of the future that is inclusive (I’ll give bonus points if there’s a romance between Sulu and Chekov; it’s time those two crazy kids got together), optimistic and, let’s just say it, bold.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Color me Trekkie - even wentto a few ScFi cons back in theday - I'm totally looking forward to this as I don't recall JJ Abrams ever screwing me over inthe past - IF however, he pulls a T Burton "Planet of the Apes" thing - I'll be out for blood.

FirePhrase said...

I could see doing a big general Con for fun. But only ST would just lay me out. Too much of a good thing, as it were.

I haven't really done JJ Abrams much, but I know others who are squarely in his court, and am willing to trust. I have to respect his balls in going for one of the Great Whites of the SciFi world. And let us not forget, the Doctor Who re-boot pretty much kicked ass in all respects.

TIME: Quotes of the Day