Monday, April 13, 2009

Meanies

You know, I just find that this whole Somali pirates thing is just killing my pirate buzz. It's hard to maintain your romantic, Jack Sparrow and Errol Flynn induced warm fuzzies about charming pirates who sail the high seas in pursuit of rum and wenches and lace cuffs, when people are out there kidnapping and killing people and stealing stuff. I mean, dude. That's just not cool. There's being a pirate and there's being a pirate.

I mean, I had always thought that if I wanted to get out of the rat race, piracy was a valid career path. You know. Swinging from yardarms. Firing cannons. Singing drinking songs. Wearing thigh high boots without having to be a hooker. Using "avast" in everyday conversation. But if I have to actually shoot people, that's no fun. That's like going from one rat race to another. With guns.

I wish those people would jsut stop ruining it for me.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

yes, 'modern pirates' are just not holdingup to the legends -- they need a bit more flair and to be not so greedy/violent. They are more like ambitious carjackers than pirates of yore.

FirePhrase said...

I'd bet they don't even have Articles. We live in sadly degraded times. If you can't trust a pirate . . .

victory4angela said...

I've often thought these modern day pirates should be called something else because they are ruining it for everyone. I like WG's carjacker comment - maybe we just call them shipjackers. It doesn't even sound nice and it doesn't ruin the word 'Pirate' for us.

FirePhrase said...

Shipjackers! I LIKE it. Then they can't ruin pirates' good names. Or bad names. Or whatever. Arrrrr!

TIME: Quotes of the Day