Monday, October 27, 2008

Home again

Whewh. Branson. What a trip. Some observations:

  • From the timeshare room we stayed in: a full length mirror in the shower? Not cool. Especially not at 7 in the morning.
  • Also, a full length mirror next to the toilet: see above. It lacks a certain dignity. What’s with these people and mirrors?
  • A hamburger, onion rings and a fried pie at Billy Bob’s Dairyland is what the angels order when they want take-out.
  • Yakov Smirnov does a damn funny show. Got to sit in the front row. And shake Yakov’s hand. Try not to feel too envious of me. Some of us are just lucky that way.
  • Speaking of which – here’s a handy little tip: Don’t wear a necklace with the word “lucky” on it at Silver Dollar City unless you want that to be your nickname for the rest of the day. “Hey! It’s Lucky!” Who? Oh, me.
  • Took the Ghost Tour in old town Branson, which was too much fun. They guaranteed a picture with something spectral. I got nothing. It was fun anyway. It was a great way to get some of the history of the town, and our guide had all the juicy stories from the wild days in Branson. And though I got bupkiss in the way of spooky pictures, this one sort of gothy girl came up next to me and said, “Ohmygod, look at this picture I got of you! It’s so freaky!” She showed me her digital camera that had a really nice screen that she could enlarge the picture on. She had a picture of me under the “hanging tree” with a giant orb over my head. How TAPS is that? I told her it was probably just one of my wilder ancestors who got hung there coming over to say “What up?”
  • We stopped in Eureka Springs, AR on the way home. What a cool little town. I like any place that has 4 coffee shops within a mile of each other, and none of them are Starbucks. It’s one of those towns where it’s 1/3 artists, 1/3 bikers and 1/3 tourists. Great vibe. Lot’s of excellent arts and crafts stores to visit.

So, that’s the quick and dirty travel report. I’ll see if I can get a few pics downloaded to share.

5 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I;m thinking the mirror thing is just a Vegas copycat urge -- hopefully that urge will taper off.

Fried pie? I hope served a la mode.

I'll take your word on the Yakov - never found him funny on his TV appearances - but if he is filling the theater nightly, he must be doing something right.

FirePhrase said...

Man, I hope I never have to see one of those mirrors in the shower again. What a nightmare.

The fried pie was indeed available a la mode. But I skipped the ice cream, after eating a frisbee sized burger and half a basked of onion rings. Gotta watch my girlish figure. But it's always a good incentive to go back and try what you missed.

Yakov is also a very interesting guy. He got his masters in psychology a couple of years ago. And he's a painter. He just comes off very sincere and warm. I can see why he does well.

victory4angela said...

I guess it's not so bad being blind as a bat after all. I wouldn't be able to see myself in the shower at all. All I would see is a fuzzy, barely visible version of me. Awesome!

Yakov used to make me laugh so hard when he described using a maxi pad as a sweat guard on his forehead when he went running. Cracked me up.

My MIL has a timeshare in Branson. *Sadly* we have yet to be invited, but I'm sure we could get an invite pretty easily.

FirePhrase said...

Unfortunately my eyesight was all too good. I only wished I'd go blind.

FirePhrase said...

And on the Branson front: hold off until next year for hitting up MIL-lie. They're getting a regional airport. Otherwise you have to drive in from Memphis, Tulsa or Little Rock. But otherwise, it's an incredibly relaxing vacation. Nobody expects you to dress up. And if you like show tunes, country or oldies there are plenty of music shows to keep you busy. It's not New York or London. But in some ways, that's good.

TIME: Quotes of the Day