Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Brrrrrrrr.

Woke up this morning freezing my sweet niblets off. Yikes almighty. Okay, really my own fault. It was cold yesterday morning too, so I knew it was coming. And I deliberately didn’t get out my fluffy-warm blanky. I just slept under my quilt as usual. It was made by my Grandma and rarely leaves my bed. It’s a very effective vampire shield in the summer – protective yet not overly warm. But when the temp drops in the fall, it just isn’t enough to keep me actually warm.

Which is where my magical thinking comes in. Somehow, I believe that if I’m cold all night, I must be burning calories trying to keep warm. So it’s like exercising. Without actually, you know, exercising. Aerobic shivering. And it makes me feel all hearty and pioneer-like to tough it out. I can usually make it about a week. But after 7 nights of waking up 10 times because I’ve rolled out of the warm spot, I’m pulling out the woolies and electric blanket.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

The worst is having to get out of bed in the morning into the cold air - even Chantilly (the cat) would rather snuggle in then get out and hustle up breakfast.

FirePhrase said...

Getting out of bed is bad, but I'd say getting out of a hot shower into a cold bathroom is right up there for hard-core shocks. I bet my shower times go up by at least 2 minutes as I try to get girded up for that one.

WashingtonGardener said...

Yes, I'd use a lot less water if I had heated bathroom floors -- green folks, we need to lobby for that to be subsidized! "Warm my tootsies, save the bay!"

FirePhrase said...

Or you could take my old friend Eric's advice and reduce water by showering with a friend. And if you don't have a friend handy, Eric is always happy to volunteer to help you reduce your H2O foot print. He's a green guy like that.

TIME: Quotes of the Day