Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Print me up a shirt!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/It-ll-cost-mucho-dinero-for-Chad-Ochocinco-to-sw?urn=nfl,106605

Ya know I don't pay attention to the football. So, I'm late to this story. But, well. It finally caught my attention. It seems this gentleman, who is some kind of football person (I don't know if he's a full-end or a tight-quarter, or what have you) has changed his last name from Johnson (admittedly not a terribly inspiring name) to Ocho Cinco (which has a lot of flair).

The reason I noticed (and I wouldn't want to be the one to bring this to Sr. Ocho Cinco's attention - those football types are usually bigguns), is that I think maybe it's wrong. I had to go look this up, because my Sesame Street Spanish is a little rusty, but I believe that the number on his football jumper is actually referred to as "eighty-five" which would be Ochenta y Cinco, rather than eight five, which is what he's using. Whoopsie.

Not that I'd in anyway want to discourage people from coming up with a flashy nickname. I'm thinking of doing the same as Ocho Cinco. Do you suppose I could get a legal name change to Julie Nalgas Dulce?

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I think the NFL is for shite in this one - 100,000 pre-printed herseys???!!! C'mon - who does that kind of advance, large number inventory anymore- NO ONE. Just poor business - he could be traded, dropped, injured, etc. What do they do when that happens with other players - burn the extra jerseys? He should fight the fine.

FirePhrase said...

From talking to other people who actually follow the football, Ocho has been a problem child in the past, and has kind of worn out all of his free passes from the league. As for the 100,000 shirts, they are probably becoming collector's items at this very moment. Get 'em while they're hot.

TIME: Quotes of the Day