Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Well, hello, old friend

I saw it on a mannequin across a crowded Old Navy store. It was like spotting an old friend. A denim jacket.

Anybody who knew me in the late '80s and early '90s knows that the denim jacket was my fashion weapon of choice. I had the over-sized classic blue jacket, accessorized with military badges and insulting buttons ("You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny" and "who are all these tacky people?" - I was a delight as a teenager). I had the tight fit, faded black version with the sleeves flipped, and a square and an X drawn in pink ink on the inside cuff. Why? I don't know. It was the '80s. Seemed cool at the time. And from the moment it was even remotely cool enough to wear a denim jacket, and not look insane, until I risked frostbite by not giving it up, even layered with my stoutest sweater, it was plastered to my body. Did I wear it with the collar popped? I'll never tell.

But at a certain point, you have to give up your fashion obsession. Either you've worn it so much that you're sick of looking at yourself and need a change. Or so much time, and so many other fads have passed that you look like a dinosaur. Dated, honey. For me it was a combination of both. It was time to move on, and more. So I gave away my black jacket. And sewed all my travel patches to the over-sized blue one and so it could be used it for display purposes only. I was strong. I found other ways to ward off the cold. Oh, I relapsed once. I bought a bright green, shrunken cordouroy version, but it just wasn't the same. The green was an accessory. An affectation. Not like old times at all.

Then I saw it. That denim jacket. My heart stopped. I tried to walk away. But I went back the next week. I had to have it. And, yes, it is just like old times. I'd forgotten the way it feels - light, protective, beyond trends or fads. And I forgot about the way that the outside pocket forms a secret pocket on the inside. Perfect for snuggling my iPod in. And the whackadoo weather we've been having has offered coolish and damp mornings for me to wear my jacket in August without looking insane. Sleeves jauntily rolled, of course. It's like it was meant to be.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I bought my FIRST EVER denim jacket at Banana Republic recently - I rebelled in the 80s/90s by NOT ever deigning to even try one on - now I figured What NOt To Wear says "go for it as long as cut well" and I did - mine has a nipped in waist

PS I see Members Only is back and in butter soft leather - another 80s item I avoided - but maybe give a try this 2nd time round

FirePhrase said...

I'm absolutely ADORING my denim jacket. Could be a staple for quite awhile.

The Members Only jacket couldn't be more disastorous for me as far as cut goes. I look like a marshmallow. I'm going to let this one pass me yet again.

TIME: Quotes of the Day