Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Gettin' my subversion on

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1703763_1703764_1810730,00.html

Dude. I am totally doing this.

Okay. Strictly speaking, this technique was designed for teenage girls. But I've got as many body issues as a 16-year old, so I think it's completely reasonable that I try this. Plus, using guerilla techniques to subvert the dominant paradigm is a personal dream of mine. I may have found a calling. And I really, really enjoyed my personal unmedia campaign against Anne Coulter Every time I saw one of her books, I'd move another book by somebody I thought she'd hate in front of her. My personal favorite was putting Anderson Cooper's book over hers. For some reason, I think Andy Boy must just torque her lug nuts. And with Bill O'Reilly's books, I'd just turn him upside down. How ya like them apples, Blow'Reilly?

Anyway. As far as social agitation for the perpetually shy and innately non-confrontational, this seems like the logical progression. I'm thinking I'm going to start something like the Post-It note gambit. I shall compose something suitably anti-beauty oligarchy, print them up on little sheets of paper, and drop them around town. I'm liking it. Okay, as far as the Forces of Anarchy go, this is pretty tame. But I'm a pretty tame gal. I'll update you as the campaign proceeds.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I like it - subtle.

FirePhrase said...

I'm still working on this one. I haven't come up with just the right blend of girl power with anti-establishment irony yet. It's very tricky.

victory4angela said...

Years ago my grandma wanted to conduct her own post-it note campaign, but instead of positive messages, she'd slap a post-it note on any bad driver's windshield or door that said, "You're an idiot". I liked her idea (still do, but I'd use stronger language :)).

This idea of posting signs in girl's bathrooms is a pretty good one. More girl power to 'em!

FirePhrase said...

I've been having a lot of trouble coming up with an appropriately sassy subversive message. It's harder than you think. Still working on it though.

You could combine your grandma's tactic with the bathroom and any time you saw anybody who walked out without their hands - "You! In the pink and purple shirt! Wash up!"

TIME: Quotes of the Day