Tuesday, August 19, 2008

One good reason it will never be Senator Julie B.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/08/18/college.drinking.age.ap/index.html

I think we're all screwed up about age limits in the US. We think age limits should be about setting moral boundaries and restrictions on the young. Fooey on that. Age limits should be logical. Government shouldn't be in the morality business. They suck at it.

Like this nonsense about moving the limit on drinking from 21 to 18. Wrong, wrong, wrong. The legal limit should be 15. That way parents have to deal with alcohol real time when they're kid is still in the house. Have you ever been out to drink with a youngun? No home training. They can't handle their booze at all. If their parents had had to deal with a 16-year old with legal access to booze, they'd have to take the time to show them how to drink like a responsible adult. [By the way kids, the object is not to drink as much as you can as fast as you can. That leads to barfing. And that's a waste of money. Slow and steady. No pukey. Just a tip from your Auntie Julie.] Until 18, all the discussions of booze are "hypothetical". You should be drinking, so it's not really happening, so I can hide my head in the sand. And by the time they hit 18, they're more or less out of the house, and it's too late to show them how it's done.

Now while the kids are loving me, I shall pull the rug out from under their feet. They shouldn't be able to drive unrestricted until they're 18. That's right. I said it. 18. No driving after 10 pm. No one under 18 in the car with you. No freeway driving. And for each time you are caught violating one of these rules, or have a serious moving violation, you bump the age of unrestricted driving up another year, up to the age of 21. And drunk driving - automatic restriction until 21. I can feel the teenagers hating me. But to quote many a teenager: "I'm not being mean. I'm just being honest." They drive like maniacs. Let 'em cool they're jets a little while until their brains are a bit more mature.

And while I'm screwing around in this area, why not fix the draft age? Draft age should be the same age as Social Security retirement. Why would we want a bunch of scared kids with everything to live for going to war? Too cautious. Send in a bunch of cranky old timers with nothing to lose. They get shot and end up in a wheelchair, uh what? Like they weren't going to end up there anyway? And old people would be bad ass in a war. They'd be thinking, "I've had a good life. You think death scares me? Yippee ki yea, mother fu####!" Plus, take a look at the Congress. If it's old coots making wars, it should be old coots fighting them.

Well, let's see. I pissed off the teenagers and the seniors in one fell swoop. Well done, me. Good blog.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

actually they do want to change drivingto 18 or 21 too - I think it is part of that same bill - I AGREE

FirePhrase said...

Just this weekend, I found myself looking straight into the face of a teenage driver who nearly caused a fatal accident. On the phone. Four passengers. I could hear the music from inside my car with the windows shut. And no look of realization that she had done anything wrong. Yikes.

TIME: Quotes of the Day