Monday, July 21, 2008

Theatre, darling

So I missed out on the movies over the weekend. Not Batman. Not Mamma Mia (though dreamy Pierce Brosnan singing S.O.S. is hella tempting). Didn't even hit the dolly. Cause I'd forgotten that my Theatre 3 subscription had started up again - yeah!! I loves my plays. Though I've switched to the Sunday evening show instead of Saturday afternoons. And unfortunately, I discovered that on Sunday night, I'm not the youngest person in the audience at Theatre 3. Saturday afternoon tends to be theater to snooze through for the 60+ set. Sunday night had a bunch of younger girls who were all dressed cute. Dammit. Now I'm going to have to make an effort. I dressed in my usual weekend cazh gear, and was standing next to a blonde bombshell in sex goddess clothes in the bathroom line. I just wanted to tell her, "Oh, for pete's sake. You're gorgeous. Couldn't you just wear jeans and flip flops so the rest of us don't look like something the cat dragged in? Give a sista a break."

Anyway the show was very good. For my DFW peeps, I'd recommend it (House & Garden - http://www.theatre3dallas.com/t3/houseandgarden.html). Well written. Well acted. Well staged. Though anything that takes place in England can be a trifle dicey on a Dallas stage. Accents tend to get wobbly in the second act. But the strength of the acting overcame any shortfalls in the limey lingo, for the most part.

My only real problem with the show was me not them. With 3 of the main characters (all very capable actors), I was so distracted for most of the first act, I could hardly pay attention. The male lead, I just kept staring at him and thinking, who does he remind me of? I hate it when that happens. (It was Bill Engvall, by the way.) Then with the female lead, her second costume was this brown shirt dress that I kept wondering if I could get back stage and steal it. Plotting petty theft is not conducive to the theater experience.

But most distracting of all was the second male lead. Tall, good looking in a Hugh Laurie-ish sort of way. After Hugh Laurie got old enough to play complete bastards. Which this character was. And one of the clues they give you to instantly identify him as a bastard and a cad was the uber-groomed hair and the worst canned man-tan that you have ever seen in your life. He was the color of a knockoff Dooney & Burke handbag. I could hardly look at him it was so disturbing. Luckily it's theater in the round, so he spent a good part of the first act with his back to me. And the fact that he had a very good voice (you know me and voices) eventually overcame the distracting factor of looking like he'd rubbed Cheetos all over his face. Anyway. By the second act, I was able to overcome my ADD enough to get settled in and really enjoy the show. I'm so frickin' cultured.

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day